Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selling breast milk?!!

Default selling breast milk?!!

I have read a message previously about selling breast milk. I wanted to respond to that but can not find it, so i started a new thread, i would really like to know what everyone else think.

There was one response to the message previously posted saying it is illegal and unethical. I am just wondering why that is? is there an actual law against it? if so who made that law? in what states does it apply? i wonder if it is a group of men who made that law?!. I wonder why it is legal for men to donate their sperms and get money for it (which is actually more controversial than breast milk) but it is not ok for women to sell their milk! If a woman has too much milk, and needs the money especially in this economy and some one is willing to pay for it and it will be used for a good cause, why should it be illegal? I personally think it should be fine, it is a personal choice. In some cultures, there were women who are paid to nurse a child of a mother who can not. I would like to know what you think.

Default Re: selling breast milk?!!

Women can donate their breastmilk. You can find information on it at hmbana.org.

Blood-borne diseases such as HIV and hepatitis can be spread through breastmilk. It has the potential to be dangerous if the donors are not carefully screened for illnesses.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; February 13th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

thank you for the info, i know the risks that come with it of course, and i know about donating it, my daughter was in the NICU for over 2 months, and i saw first hand how wonderful the milk bank is in providing milk for thos hwo need it (for free), i did not need any, i have oversupply i even offered to share some with the parents i have meet there. I plan to donate my milk to the human milk bank once my daughter is done nursing

I am not looking into selling any, but i was just wondering about the legality of it and why it is considered unethical.

I think there are always some pretty grey areas in terms of ethics when it comes to this sort of thing. I personally do find it a bit unethical that men get paid for donating sperm. It creates all kinds of possible problems concerning donors who contributed many times possibly "fathering" children with genetic problems (something that has a low expression normally may very well beexpressed if you produce 50 babies), selling your genes has always seemed a little weird to me. I don't know what the law here on Canada says about sperm, but I know you can't buy eggs or surrogacy (sp?).

As far as BM goes, there are the risks inherent in it's being a body fluid, much like a blood product. You need to ensure rigorous screening, and in an open market situation, that would be very difficult to control. Also, if there's $$ involved, might a mom who is struggling sell her milk for $$ and possibly shortchange her lo's nutrition? Or would this become another area where low income women end up because they have few choices? It makes me think of dairy cattle, I know it's not the samething, but once something has been commodified that way, how do you ensure that you only really have women selling for the "right" reasons (whatever those may be)?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I think that in Britain it is illegal to give or get money for any bodily fluid/part. I support this fully. I know that it reduces the supply of stuff that is needed, but it more than makes up for that by weeding out so many of the problems you get when you give money. Just think about Plasma in the States. The repeat "doners" are often junkie who go out and use the money to get IV drugs...how is that helping the supply any.

Specific to BM, I worry about a market being made where mothers who are on a very low/no income feel forced into selling milk that their babies need (totally different situation from you mamas who who just produce way more that your LO needs). Mothers who have a couple of older kids and get food stamps/WIC but don't actually have enough money for rent. WIC will give her formula and food for the older ones so she feels that to make rent she has to take money for her BM and ends up taking it away from the LO that needs it. She is in a no win situation. If there is no paying market for BM she isn't put in this situation. She still need to find the money for rent of course...but then you will get me started on a political rant that this is the wrong place for...

JM2C

OOPS I hadn't read what jessruff said - I could have saved myself the typing
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

It seems wrong to me that if milk is sold it would go to the highest bidder. If you donate to HMBANA, the milk goes mostly to premature babies, and if there are preemies in the NICU who need it, it won't only go to the rich babies. Milk should go to the babies who need it most and not just the ones whose parents can pay for it.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    It seems wrong to me that if milk is sold it would go to the highest bidder. If you donate to HMBANA, the milk goes mostly to premature babies, and if there are preemies in the NICU who need it, it won't only go to the rich babies. Milk should go to the babies who need it most and not just the ones whose parents can pay for it.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I would bet that moms who donate their milk to a specific individual receive some kind of compensation, even if it is not "paying for the milk". I just couldn't imagine anyone giving me milk for my baby and me giving them nothing in return. I'm sure it happens, it just can't be a large organization that runs the whole thing or people would find out.

Do milk banks give storage supplies to moms? Like milk bags and stuff?
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missmari View Post
    I would bet that moms who donate their milk to a specific individual receive some kind of compensation, even if it is not "paying for the milk". I just couldn't imagine anyone giving me milk for my baby and me giving them nothing in return. I'm sure it happens, it just can't be a large organization that runs the whole thing or people would find out.

Do milk banks give storage supplies to moms? Like milk bags and stuff?
    There are A LOT of mothers that give their milk for free. I am one of them. I have donated through a milk bank and to a gay couple's adopted baby through milkshare. And there are a ton more where I came from. The HMBANA milkbank did provide me bags to bag the milk I donated. On the milkshare website there are a ton of moms giving their milk away for free. Believe it or not, not everybody out there is looking for something in return all the time. I believe in humanity a little more than that!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

seems there are lots of different points of view on this subject. good thinking!
    Melissa
    Mommy to 3 babies
    Emily 8.11.05 My darling daughterEvan 6.28.07 the baddest, sweetest little guy I ever met
    Eliot 6.1.2010 coming soon and soon to be again!

I did not give you the gift of life, God gave me the gift of you.