Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared to, but kind of want to..

Default scared to, but kind of want to..

Im so SO iffy on this, and just recently about 2 weeks ago Ive been thinking about night weaning DD.

I have soooo many mixed emotions about this, and I cry as I write this.

I have had soooooooooooo many struggles in the begining of BFing and am SO SO proud that we over come them all, and I dont plan on STOPPING BGing any time soon..

DD nurses as she always has throughout the night pretty frequently. Id say.. 4-6 breasts worth During the day she nurses when she wakes & to nap and sometimes if she wants to I let her. Again I dont plan on stopping anytime soon.

Im just so so so so sooooooooooooooo scared if I night wean she will NEVER nurse. She JUST turned 1 31st of Jan so should I wait a bit longer before trying to night wean.

I dont want her to wean at all what so ever..

any of you moms night weaned abour this time, were you scared too? how are your LO's nursing still!?

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: scared to, but kind of want to..

you can always cut back a little bit and see how you feal.
    that normal makes moms feal a little bit beter

are you co-sleeping?
    Sometimes putting some distance between you and baby helps with weaning.

WEan slowly with love!

When my dd was small some of her best nursings were bed and nap and then when ever she would wake up.
    And remember too as long as the are nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need any cows milk or other milk suppliments.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    you can always cut back a little bit and see how you feal.
    that normal makes moms feal a little bit beter

are you co-sleeping?
    Sometimes putting some distance between you and baby helps with weaning.

WEan slowly with love!

When my dd was small some of her best nursings were bed and nap and then when ever she would wake up.
    And remember too as long as the are nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need any cows milk or other milk suppliments.
    Yes we co sleep, I dont even have another "bed" for DD to sleep in, so thats another thing..

CAYLA

maybe just getting that bed would help you?
    I know with my dd it helped.
    1st she just had a toddler bed that was beside our bed, then a double fouton that we got at walmart.
    Then her own twin bed.
    She night weaned all together sometime between 2 and 3...

from dr sears:
    NIGHT WEANING: 12 ALTERNATIVES FOR THE ALL-NIGHT NURSER

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022900.asp

My question is, why do you want to?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I just night weaned my daughter, but she was much older than 12 months, she was 19 months. It was hard because she really wanted to nurse, but she understands a little more than a 12 month old would.
    Here's what I did. I have a music box that plays for a preset number of minutes. I set the time for 15 minutes when we sat down to nurse for the night and would take her off the breast when the music stopped. After a week, I lowered the time to 10 minutes, and finally, after another week I lowered it to 5 minutes. During this time I continued to nurse her back to sleep if she woke in the night. When her "last" feeding before bed went down to 5 minutes, I stopped nursing her when she woke in the night. This was only a slight problem for a night or two. She fussed for maybe a minute (ok, got pretty upset for a minute), but I told her "Mommy doesn't have milk at night anymore, only in the day time." As I rocked and held her, she seemed to accept this and went back to sleep. A few days later, I told her the same thing for her "last" feeding before bed, and now she is ok with it. Now I rock her and lay in bed with her until she goes to sleep. She doesn't even ask to nurse at bedtime or in the night anymore.

All that being said, my method might not work for such a young baby. Have you read The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley? She had a cosleeping breastfeeding toddler who woke to nurse even more frequently than yours. She came up with a way to get him to sleep for longer stretches at night without letting him cry.
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    My question is, why do you want to?
    1. to get my bed back
    2. dh will be home in 4 months (yes its still far away so thats why the option to night wean is still up in the air) and im sure he'll want the bed for US only.
    3. DD's a majorrrrr bed hog I mean major.
    4. she crawls off our bed at night she's a sleep crawler i call her, which isnt good. ker SPLAT on the floor.
    5. she nurses ALOT during the night, well it seems like alot to me.
    6. id like to have some ALONE nights with DH when he returns, or alone nights to myself, so i wanted to try to leave DD with grandma over night.

I guess all the reasons are pretty selfish huh.

I think i'll wait it out until she's a bit older.

Thanks mama's

CAYLA

I would get her another bed. You're going to use it eventually anyways. If she's crawling all over and disrupting everyone's sleep, that's a good indication that she might be ready for her own spot. You will know when it's time.

I don't think that 12 months is too young if she's eating a lot of solids during the day. We nightweaned at around 14 months and stopped co-sleeping at 18months, but I should have stopped co-sleeping a lot earlier. Same thing, he was so wild in the bed and we all got no sleep.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I don't think that your reasons are selfish!
    And I agree with green momma.. if things aren't working now for you then its ok to change things

Is your hubby in the service?
    Thank you for his service if he is,
    It will be a big adjustment for everybody if hes been gone a long time!