Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I made an ounce!! Now how do I get her to latch again?

Default I made an ounce!! Now how do I get her to latch again?

Since my baby was born 3 and a half months ago, I have only been able to get 1/3 of an ounce into her. The Lactation Nurse told me that was all I made, but after tonight I'm not so sure she was right. Tonight I hand expressed an ounce after feeling like I was kind a full. Maybe it's not too late!!

After denying the need for it for 2 months and almost quitting nursing, I had my daughters frenulum clipped. She has a much stronger suck, but still won't stay latched. My flow is slow compared to the SNS and bottle. I've been hand expressing to get my supply up so maybe she'd stay interested. Her doc won't let me cut supplements yet, but I think there is still hope for us to nurse!! Now to get her back on the breast full time... Any advice?

Default Re: I made an ounce!! Now how do I get her to latch again?

this link might have some tips you haven't tried....

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

how much suppliment are you giving in 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aricate View Post
    Tonight I hand expressed an ounce after feeling like I was kind a full. Maybe it's not too late!!
    That's wonderful news! I don't think it's too late at all. My Mom relactated after 3 months of no nursing at all, and her milk was gone. If she can do it, you can do it! Kudos on keeping your baby on the breast with the SNS until getting her tongue-tie clipped. That must have been a lot of work!!!

I think Andrea's link gives excellent advice, but I'd like to promote 2 things especially:
    1. Skin-to-skin contact, as much as possible. It can relax your baby and the milky smell can inspire her to latch.
    2. Co-sleeping, if you're not doing it already. Sometimes a sleepy baby will take the breast without a struggle, and that can familiarize them with breastfeeding so that they're more willing to take it during the day.

I've been hand expressing to get my supply up so maybe she'd stay interested.
    How is hand-expressing going for you? You might get faster results if you use a pump, with the added benefit that you'd be able to fill the SNS with breastmilk instead of formula.

Congratulations on your success so far!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Good for you mama! I am going through a similar experience with a poor latcher as a result of a posterior tongue-tie. My supply is a struggle since the baby can only do so much. I am happy to hear you are seeing an increase!
    2001 2004 2008

I'm giving her 2-2.5 oz (in the SNS) of formula per feeding and she eats between 6-8 times per day. I tried dropping an ounce of formula out and feeding more often, but she wasn't interested in feeding more often and quit pooping as much as usual. I was afraid I was starving the poor girl and added it back in.

As for the hand expressing, it is all I can do right now. I had a rented pump but returned it after 2 months and since my husband got laid off, renting it again is not an option right now, sadly. We co-sleep already, but I am going to add in more skin to skin time. It's hard to go backward and change months of habit with my baby!

Re-lactating is worth it for me, but I'm worried I won't be able to get out much again and I really thrive on time spent with other mothers. I'm not sure how long it will take to get a full supply up and I get a little stir crazy at home alone with the baby all day!

With the SNS she stays latched on, but as soon as I cut off the flow from the SNS she stops sucking. I've been waiting to open the flow when she starts off to more simulate a natural let down, but she also knows where the food is coming from. If I put her to the breast WITHOUT the SNS clipped to my shirt and the tube taped to my breast, she does a couple of nibbles and then pulls off to look at me like 'where's the milk?' When I have it clipped on, she eagerly sucks.

I'm not sure if it matters, but she was 5 weeks premature.

Thanks for the encouragement!

could you talk with somebody at wic?
    some wic offices have pumps to lend.

Congratulations on the success you are seeing by working so hard with your daughter. Do you have the ability to contact your local LLL Leader? She might be able to help you directly with the relactation issues plus she should be able to head you in the right direction with resources to help with a pump.

Keep up all the hard work. I understand how you feel being alone with your baby. You will both benefit from all the skin to skin contact.

Cheering for you!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader