Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: difficult co-workers

Question difficult co-workers

Tomorrow is my first day back to work in 8 weeks and I am nervous. I am nervous about being away from my lo and nervous about pumping at work. The only thing I am not really nervous about is my supply.(Did a dry run today at home, pumping at the times that I would be able to at work, and feeding my lo bottles only, bm of course.) I am worried about the reaction I will get when I have to step away for 10min or so to go and pump. I work with alot of older women who did not have the "rights" that we have today, I know that I will catch some flack. Not only am I nervous but I feel guilty because I am going to take these breaks, and they (more than likely) will not get the same breaks. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel guilty enough to not pump. I feel as though it would be an injustice to the women who fought for me to have that right. Just needing some support from women who understand. Any ideas on how to deal with difficult co-workers??? Thanks!

Default Re: difficult co-workers

Hopefully at least one of them will be understanding and supportive. I've had that happen before, where I thought someone would be down on bf and then they said, "I think that's wonderful" or something. You never know. When I went back to work after DS, I had a job where I shared an office space with several older women, who were all fine with my pumping breaks.
    I can't believe they'd all be totally insensitive to how hard it is when you first have to leave your LO and go back to work.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

we are hear to listen if somebody gives you a hard time....

Your doing what you think is best for your child and who cares what they think or feal...
    I got a lot of slack from my mil.
    Untill hubby told her "look you raised us as you saw fit and my wife is doing the same" and she was a little bit more understanding after that.

I think the older women will be fine with your choice to pump and breastfeed. I've found that many older women are just happy to see younger people chossing to breastfeed their children.

I was nervous for the same reasons you are. When I returned though, I started thinking of it as my "smoke break." I work with a lot of smokers who take various breaks to do so, and I justified it this way.

Like pp said, we are here to listen and support. Let us know if they do give you a hard time, and we can come up with suggestions on how to help approach the situation.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

How did it go today, mama?

with pp; I've been pleasantly surprised by how many people have been supportive.
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; February 13th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I think it also depends on where you work and what you do. Some moms don't really get extra free breaks but end up having to make up any extra time pumping beyond normal breaks -- so in that case there wouldn't be any need for jealous co-workers.

Others may end up having computer access while pumping and could quialify their time as still working so not really a "break".

Good luck with the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csan View Post
    I think it also depends on where you work and what you do. Some moms don't really get extra free breaks but end up having to make up any extra time pumping beyond normal breaks -- so in that case there wouldn't be any need for jealous co-workers.
    The problem is that there often are jealous coworkers anyway. Either they don't see you make up the extra time or they are just pissy anyway. It has taken me a few months of not pumping any longer and a couple of us almost getting laid off together to start re-building what I thought were strong relationships. Some of it is that you can never go to coffee with them, never stop and chat about nothing, never go for a walk on your lunch break. I am not saying that it is not worth it to pump. It obviously is (unless you have a supply like mine and only get a total of 1.5oz for a whole days worth of pumping sessions and I still pumped until he was six months) but it is HARD.

To the OP, I hope your day went well and that you have no problems with your coworkers at all.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks everyone for your support! The first day went surprisingly well! I think it partly had to do with the fact that I randomly broke out in tears for about the first 3 hours, and they didn't want to mess with me! LOL! I did catch a few rolls of the eyes, but overall I think they were glad to have me back. I was surprised to find out that I did get the desired amount of milk in only a few minutes. I work 8-4 and only get 1- 45min lunch. I pumped 10 min in the am, 10 min at lunch and 10min in the afternoon. Hopefully the "honeymoon" won't end! anyhow, thanks!

Personally I think it's more about telling them ahead of time so that they know what to expect. If they don't understand / know about your need to pump at constant intervals, they'll probably suspect you are just slacking.

So I'd chat to them and say "I need to pump every 3 hours or so, in order to keep my production up and to have enough milk to feed my baby the next day while I'm at work. If I don't, my production could drop off." That way they know there's a schedule you need to keep and why you need to keep it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

So glad to hear that your first day went well! You were really smart to start right before a long weekend, so that you have awhile before you have to go back. Enjoy this mini babymoon!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png