Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hand pump or PISA for business trip??

Default Hand pump or PISA for business trip??

Hey LLLadies! I'm going to be away from DD (18mos) for 6 days next week. She typically only nurses 2x's a day (before bed and once during the night). At this late in the game I'm not concerned with maintaining supply...I'm sure it's not much and I'm sure I can rebound if she wants to continue nursing when I return from the trip (but correct me if I'm off base here). So, I'm more concerned about pumping to keep from getting engorged. So, if I'm going to pump just once should I bring my PISA or would a hand pump be sufficient? Oh, and I'm not planning on storing the pumped milk (I already have a stash I'm not really using).

I am leaning towards the hand pump because I'm flying and already have a ton of stuff to lug in my luggage. The PISA isn't exactly small or lightweight! But, I worry that I won't be able to remove enough milk and will regret not having the speed and efficiency of the PISA. With the hand pump I'll have to pump both sides separately (obviously) but with the PISA it's a 2for1!

What would you do?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Hand pump or PISA for business trip??

Well, the business trip I just got back from was only 3 days, and I brought my PISA. I just set it up on the desk in the hotel room, and left it set up during my stay there. I ended up pumping twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening. I was able to minimize what I packed, so it fit nicely in my medium-sized suitcase along with my clothes, travel-size toiletries, hairdryer, etc.

Just my 2 cents, but if I were you, I would bring the PISA, since that's what you're comfortable using.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I'd bring my PISA-
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I have always used a handpump and it gets the job done. If you don't want to carry your PISA, the handpump would work just fine. I am able to express all the milk from my breasts with a handpump in about 7 minutes, so it really doesn't take too much time (or too much space in your luggage.)

Wanted to send an update. I'm on day 2 of my trip. Brought the PISA. Glad that I did. It's what I know/am used to. Although I haven't pumped in well over 3 months and I almost felt like I forgot what I was doing. I only had to pump once last night before bed, which was about 4hrs later than when I'd normally feed DD and I wasn't even full. Pumped both sides and got 1.5 oz from each side. I wasn't sure how much I'd actually get since DD only nurses 1-2x a day...3oz seemed pretty good. It did pain me to pour it down the sink. But there's no sense bringing it home since DD isn't even drinking any of the stash I still have in the freezer.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    Wanted to send an update. I'm on day 2 of my trip. Brought the PISA. Glad that I did. It's what I know/am used to. Although I haven't pumped in well over 3 months and I almost felt like I forgot what I was doing. I only had to pump once last night before bed, which was about 4hrs later than when I'd normally feed DD and I wasn't even full. Pumped both sides and got 1.5 oz from each side. I wasn't sure how much I'd actually get since DD only nurses 1-2x a day...3oz seemed pretty good. It did pain me to pour it down the sink. But there's no sense bringing it home since DD isn't even drinking any of the stash I still have in the freezer.
    I know what you mean... Even though my DD doesn't drink BM from a cup or bottle anymore, I brought back the milk I pumped, and put it in the freezer, JIC. I didn't have ANY stashed in there, and thought it might be good to have a little in case she gets sick (flu) and we needed a little extra breastmilk... I managed to pump 20 ounces while I was gone.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Wanted to post a final update in case any mamas refer to this later on for advice. So my pumping output was 3oz total on day 1 and 2 then dropped to 2oz day 3 and on days 4 and 5 is was barely an 1oz. Now, keep in mind that I was sick on days 4 and 5 and had zero food intake so I'm sure that had a big impact. I never felt full on any of the days. It would have been interesting to see what my output would have been at the end of the trip had I not been sick.

Also, for those worried about weaning happening while away...I was a bit worried but also had resigned myself to the fact that if it happened that we had a great 18mos run. I had decided I wouldn't offer and see what happened. Well, DD didn't ask until bedtime and being that she was also sick she nursed like a newborn for the next 36hrs. So, any hit my supply took was definitely corrected! And there's no weaning in sight.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    &
    DD2 12/16/09