Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I worry?

Default should I worry?

So...my DS is almost 6 mos and he has no problems with nursing. But I work 4 days per week and pump to give him at sitter's. I used to pump about 12 oz a day but recently its been more like 9-10. So far it hasn't been an issue because some days he eats less and I have frozen supplies too.

But I'm worried my supply is going down!! I'm a chronic worrier anyway...

What do you ladies think?

Default Re: should I worry?

This happened to me at around 5 months. I was pumping 18 oz in 3 sessions and it dropped to like 9 oz..
    Well, not just a few days later did AF return. Has AF returned for you? This is always a possibility. My supply now dips the week prior to AF and I noticed too, it dips when I ovulate.
    Mother's Milk tea seems to help boost supply during these times, as well as eating oatmeal. I have heard great things about Fenugreek, but haven't tried it myself.

Well, no signs of AF yet, but I'll keep my eyes on it! I've been eating oatmeal for about 2 wks and haven't noticed any change. Planning on getting some fenugreek once I can find it...thanks for the ideas!

how often is toddler nursing when you are together?
    sleeping all night?

He might be taking more milk when you are together then you figured...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    how often is toddler nursing when you are together?
    sleeping all night?

He might be taking more milk when you are together then you figured...
    Well, we cosleep and he eats about 2x per night. He def does eat most of his milk with me - some days he eats less than 5 oz in 8 hrs at the sitters!

Does this make my body produce less during the day and that's why I'm pumping less? I figured if I continue to pump the same schedule I wld keep getting the milk, regardless of whether he eats it or not? I'm confused haha

my guess would be your period...
    have you tried breast compression while pumping?
    Soemtimes that helps.

It is very typical for production to slow at around 5 or 6 months too.

I just added a bunch of hings to my arsenal...fenugreek, fennel, alfalfa, LOTS of water, and I TRIED to ditch the stress....

Compressions really helped too.

What kind of a pump do you have? Have you checked your parts? The valves and membranes may need to be replaced. I generally do this about every 6-8 weeks or so.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    my guess would be your period...
    have you tried breast compression while pumping?
    Soemtimes that helps.
    Still no sign of AF...hopefully she's still on her extended vacation

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    It is very typical for production to slow at around 5 or 6 months too.

I just added a bunch of hings to my arsenal...fenugreek, fennel, alfalfa, LOTS of water, and I TRIED to ditch the stress....

Compressions really helped too.

What kind of a pump do you have? Have you checked your parts? The valves and membranes may need to be replaced. I generally do this about every 6-8 weeks or so.
    I just replaced my membranes and have some other parts on order, and I always do compression anyways! That plus the oatmeal seems to be helping - my pumping levels are back up again.

On the fennel and alfalfa, do you take supplements or just add to your cooking?

Thanks so much for the tips girls!
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beau.smomma View Post
    On the fennel and alfalfa, do you take supplements or just add to your cooking?
    I took supplements. A mama on here gave me a website that you can buy seeds from (fenugreek and fennel) and the alfalfa I got in capsules. Buying the seeds is WAY cheaper! I eventually found fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds at a local farmers market type store as well.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I took supplements. A mama on here gave me a website that you can buy seeds from (fenugreek and fennel) and the alfalfa I got in capsules. Buying the seeds is WAY cheaper! I eventually found fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds at a local farmers market type store as well.

Good luck mama!
    Thanks! I bought some fenugreek caps this wknd just to try - I might get the seeds later. BTW I'm Hilary too, but with one "l" I always get my name spelled wrong though. I love your sig pic - I swear I can hear them yelling!
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)