Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Insuff glandular tissue-help, please!

Default Insuff glandular tissue-help, please!

I have IGT -- left breast is substantially smaller than right (A vs D) and no glandular tissue is developed in bottom quadrants.

With ds 1, we had to supplement from almost the start ( he got jaundice).

With ds 2, we are further along, but he's not gaining weight rapidly. I'm suspecting we may need to supplement a bit to get the weight gain going.

I would love to hear any success stories from anyone who has or knows someone who has IGT. I am feeling positive going into this, but would be buoyed by anything anecdotal.

Default Re: Insuff glandular tissue-help, please!

bump

Do you have IGT in your right breast as well? My left breast is almost non-existant compared to my right. I think something happened to the tissue after a bad bout of mastitis, but I don't know. But I was told that if Mothers of twins and breastfeed two babies on one set of breasts, a mother of one baby should be able to breastfeed one baby with one breast.

What are your baby's diapers like? How many wets and poops. What is the weight gain?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I don't think it's in the right breast. We are also working off of the twin theory.

Right now, we're doing a slow weight gain -- 0.5 oz/day. Poops were slow (see http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=66616), then picked up to 1/day, now we've gone without for 3 days. Wet diapers are good -- he tends to hold the pee and really soak a couple and go light for the others.

I'm taking domperidone, fenugreek, brewer's yeast, alfalfa & flaxseed oil right now. I've also ordered some LactStim, which has Goat's Rue, Blessed Thistle, Fennel, Blue Vervain, Alfalfa, Nettle, Raspberry. Basically, I'm trying to throw everything I can at it and then (hopefully) when things pick up try to wean off the ones that don't work and keep those that do.

I try to pump after nursing when I can, but it's tricky b/c he sleeps on me, so I'm either wearing him or having a nap with him.

It sounds like you're doing a great job. 3.5ozs a week isn't bad, 4 is generally the goal, so you're close if not there. I have self dx IGT and we have our first appt tomorrow (baby is a week old) so we'll check on weight gain then. I have a feeling things aren't going well and I've already used some formula.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)