Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    392

    Default Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    Hi LLL Mama's! My LO's are sick...the doc says no ear infections, lungs are clear, and Tylenol seems to keep the fevers under control.

    But, DS (who is 15 months) will not nurse. I think it is because he is congested and can't breathe... and maybe he is feeling kinda sick to his stomach. I know I have a bit of nausea.

    Anyhow, he wants to nurse...he looks at the breast and thinks about putting his mouth on, but then when he gets close to me...he starts to gag before he even latches. WTH? He cried and cried last night before falling asleep and he kept pulling my shirt off and trying to rub my breasts, but he didn't want to latch...and he is doing the same this morning.

    I don't have a pump here because we are down at the new place and most of our stuff is back in Michigan. Should I go get a manual? I am starting to get pretty engorged. He is nursing about 3-5 times a day. So far....nothing today....I am worried about getting mastistas (sp)?

    So, do you think he is just not feeling well???? I am praying once he feels better, he will be back at it. He is drinking water out of a cup just fine. So, he is hydrated enough.

    What will happen if I don't pump? Will I dry up after a day or two of this?

    Please help in any way Mama's! Thanks so much!!!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

    and Preston 10/28/07


    <--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

    I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Land of Cotton
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    It certainly sounds like a strike to me. My son acted the same way when he went on strike in December (he was also 15mo). You could try lots of skin to skin contact. Does your son nap? The only way I could get DS to nurse during his strike was to wait until he was asleep and then offer the breast. So, maybe you could try that. I don't know about how not pumping will affect your supply. But, I'm pretty sure that your son will be back to nursing once he feels better.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    Thank you so much for your quick response. I just got him to latch on for a few minutes...but he was pretty much sleeping. He was in those last few minutes before he falls asleep. But, it was the first time he nursed since yesterday.

    I might go get a pump later on. I don't know how long this could last and I don't know if I want to find out by getting so engorged I can't take it. I am afraid I won't have milk for him once he is ready.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

    and Preston 10/28/07


    <--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

    I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Land of Cotton
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccamomof2 View Post
    I am afraid I won't have milk for him once he is ready.
    During our December strike, I'd pump twice in the mornings and then nurse him during his naps--but my supply did go down some anyway. Once he was over his teething pain, he started nursing again with a vengeance, taking both side during single feedings (he had never done that before). We're actually having another partial strike right now (teething ), but I didn't pump this time. My supply is down some, but I haven't been engorged so I decided that I didn't want to pump. Without pumping, I've been less stressed, which has brought DS back to the breast faster and with fewer tears. I'm sure that your milk won't dry up before the strike is over.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,160

    Default Re: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    I've been through a month long nursing strike, and several mini strikes that were anywhere from 3 days - 2 weeks. After he turned 1 I basically said w/e to my supply and just took on the attitude of whatever happens happens.

    It always worked out. Every single time. For engorgement I just hand expressed and it would go away in a few days. I never pumped to keep up supply. Once my LO started nursing again the milk came right back pretty quickly. If you've been nursing for 15 months it takes a very long time to dry up.

    My new best friend when DS is sick is the warm steam vaporizer. Plug that baby in, sit in the room for about 10 minutes, then nurse and it's wonderful. They are able to breathe again.

    Hang in there, nursing strikes are harder on momma then the LO. Oh and I will add that even after DS would get better he would still be on nursing strike. You have to kind of woo them back to the breast very gently.
    Lisa

    Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    Thank you so much mama's! I think I have some great advice here. I was just thinking earlier today that I should kinda, "go with the flow" so to speak. So, thank you Green.momma! I guess I didn't know that it would take a long time to dry up either.

    Thank you also milkface ~ I just went in while he was sleeping and I got him to latch again. So, that was twice today. But, only when he was basically sleeping.

    So, I can't get mastitis?? Or is that a possibility?
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

    and Preston 10/28/07


    <--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

    I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccamomof2 View Post
    Thank you so much mama's! I think I have some great advice here. I was just thinking earlier today that I should kinda, "go with the flow" so to speak. So, thank you Green.momma! I guess I didn't know that it would take a long time to dry up either.

    Thank you also milkface ~ I just went in while he was sleeping and I got him to latch again. So, that was twice today. But, only when he was basically sleeping.

    So, I can't get mastitis?? Or is that a possibility?
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things to get your son to nurse. It is common for children to go on a nursing strike if they are congested. The idea of a humidifier/vaporizer is a great one!! The best way to get your son to nurse is to keep offering him the breast. The sleepy nurses are the easiest way to get him to latch when he is not feeling well. These will help keep up your supply and offer your son the best milk possible to get rid of his sickness.

    If you are feeling signs of engorgement try hand expressing in to a towel or expressing during a warm shower. Your supply is well established at 15 months. You do not need to worry about losing it quickly. Mastitis is a possibility but unlikely if you are able to keep him nursing some and if you hand express if you are feeling signs of engorgement.

    The strike will pass and your son will go back to nursing happily.
    Alene
    LLL Leader

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLAlene View Post
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things to get your son to nurse. It is common for children to go on a nursing strike if they are congested. The idea of a humidifier/vaporizer is a great one!! The best way to get your son to nurse is to keep offering him the breast. The sleepy nurses are the easiest way to get him to latch when he is not feeling well. These will help keep up your supply and offer your son the best milk possible to get rid of his sickness.

    If you are feeling signs of engorgement try hand expressing in to a towel or expressing during a warm shower. Your supply is well established at 15 months. You do not need to worry about losing it quickly. Mastitis is a possibility but unlikely if you are able to keep him nursing some and if you hand express if you are feeling signs of engorgement.

    The strike will pass and your son will go back to nursing happily.
    OK, Thank you soooo much!!! I feel so much better about this. I thought it was the end of the road. Thank goodness it isn't because I am not ready.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

    and Preston 10/28/07


    <--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

    I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Land of Cotton
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Is he weaning or striking? Please help!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    My new best friend when DS is sick is the warm steam vaporizer.

    Hang in there, nursing strikes are harder on momma then the LO. Oh and I will add that even after DS would get better he would still be on nursing strike. You have to kind of woo them back to the breast very gently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •