Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can baby have low supply with enough wets?

Default can baby have low supply with enough wets?

My baby is almost 5 months old and has good output but very slow gain, can a person have low supply with a baby who has good output?

Default Re: can baby have low supply with enough wets?

If your baby isn't nursing constantly, or frustrated at the breast and has good output then I wouldn't think supply to be a problem. My son is a slow grower too. He's just fine though. I wouldn't worry about it.

Indeed... if there are enough wet and dirty diapers it's not likely to be a lack of sufficient supply... What is his weight like that is of concern? And to whom it is a concern to?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

He was 7pds 3 oz and 19 inches long at birth, 6pds 7oz at discharge (5 days old), 8pds 13oz at 2 months, 8 pds 14 oz and 23 inches long at a few days shy of 5 months. The Dr isn't concerned bc I have several children with genetic enzyme defficiancies causing malabsorbtion of sugars. He knows with this defficiancy a baby would loose weight on formula bc formula is so carb based and with another Dr we tried it (while nursing) with my first one with the disorder and he lost alot of weight. I'm blessed to have a supportive Dr. But I would like to pump as much into my youngest as possible to inch the scale up more. So I was wondering if supply could be a factor too...
    Last edited by @llli*quiverfull; February 11th, 2009 at 09:21 AM.

If its coming out, it's going in.

However, it wouldn't hurt to try, you can work on upping your supply to see if it makes a difference.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.