Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't nurse for 4 days - what do I do?

Default Re: can't nurse for 4 days - what do I do?

Oh momma I'm just reading this.

Hugs to you!!!!

No judgement at all here.

Your baby is 22 months, almost the same age as mine. It will be difficult but he will get through this. If someone can keep him for the 2 days and you can pump and dump that would be the easiest thing.

Thinking good thoughts for you.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

with the pps.
    If you have someone available that he really enjoys being with or that can take him to do something fun while you rest and recover he should be okay. Around 2 my lo would be so consumed by a fun activity that he wouldn't even ask to nurse.
    When we would go visit my sister or FIL, my lo would not nurse for a whole weekend then when we got home he would resume his normal schedule of nursing.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

My thought was if it's possible for him to stay with someone else for the time you can't nurse would be ideal!
    You guys will survive this though even if you can't do that. He'll be so happy to nurse again when you can! And you definately have the right idea of special treats, lots of hugs and daddy taking over nighttime duties.
    They understand a lot more than you would think, so definately saying that you can't nurse right now, but will be able to soon should help.

Good luck!

thanks to all of you!!!
    I am so worried that he is going to feel rejected!!

I have to keep telling myself that the 4 days I can't BF won't erase all the months of bonding and closeness we have developed...

it is going to break my heart to listen to him cry for mum mums...but I have great support (from DH) and I think we have a game plan.

thanks again for all of your encouragement!