Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping session to far apart?

Question Pumping session to far apart?

Hi

Work's been pretty hectic and will be even crazier in the coming weeks. Even today i am only able to express every 4 hrs at the best. I'm passing the 4-hour mark as i'm writing this, due to the room i use is being used by another department. And right after i have a meeting that will last God knows how long. Will going about 6 hrs hurt my supply? As it is my morning session got me 1oz less than needed. My boy drinks 5oz at a time now.

I am worried but trying to stay positive. I hope they empty the room soon

Default Re: Pumping session to far apart?

How old is your child? It is important to pump as often as your child nurses in order to keep your supply up and provide enough milk for while you are away. If your child is sleeping through the night you could set your alarm and pump every few hours at night. Not ideal, but its another option.

Are there any other places you could pump?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I think that every mom's pumping schedule is different. My pumping schedule is every 4 hours. I get up and feed baby and then pump immediately afterwards which is at 6 am. Then when I get to work, I pump at 10 am and then 2 pm. When I get home I BF baby at 6 pm before his bedtime, then I'll pump at 10 pm right before I go to sleep... If the baby doesn't get up to feed in the middle of the night, by 5 am, I am REALLY uncomfortable!

At work, I try to pump on time, but there are days that I know I won't be able to pump, so I may pump earlier or later... but at each pumping session, I try to pump the fulll 20 minutes.

I don't think going 6 hours will hurt your supply... If you wait 6 hours, you will be really full, so my advice is to make sure that you pump until you are empty so your body will know to start making milk again.

On my four hour pumping schedule, I don't have a problem with supply... Since it's my routine, I expect each breast to make about 1 oz an hour that I'm away from pumping.

I've been back to work for a month now... At first, I was worried about supply ALL THE TIME, but now that I've gotten into a routine, my body has gotten use to it.

My little guy drinks 5 oz at a time also! Don't they grow so fast!
    Jessie
    Mom to Antonio born 9/10/2008
    at work and at home

Thank you for the advice and shared experience! My son will be 5 months next week and yeah drinking 5oz out of the bottle. But i have a feeling that will increase.

Great to hear that pumping as often as he eats wouldn't hurt my supply That piece of information is such a relief! I work in event management and the first day long event is tomorrow. I hope i'll be able to find a place (and time!) to pump and store. Wish me luck!

Thanks once again