Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decreasing milk output in the a.m.

Unhappy decreasing milk output in the a.m.

Hi everyone! I am new to the forums...although I have read many of them and have been helpful on my 3 month bf journey. I have now been back a work for a month and I am having quite a decrease in my milk output from my morning pumping session. I used to be able to pump 4 oz without even trying and it has slowly decreased since I've been back at work. My afternoon session i usually also pumped 4 oz and that session has actually stayed the same or increased by an oz or 2. Should I be worried? because I am! Slowly we have started to have to cut into our rainy day freezer supply of bm since I am not pumping enough during the day to make bottles for the next day. I am drinking the Mothers Milk Tea and that has helped get my supply back up from having the stomach flu a few weeks ago. I have read on several web sites that fenugreek is helpful but I'm a little nervous about using it. Anybody have some helpful tips on what I should do???

Default Re: decreasing milk output in the a.m.

Hello,

My baby is now going on 6 months and I too experience a major decrease in my milk supply upon returning to work. I recently tried Fenugreek. Its an herbal supplement that helps increase your milk supply. Trust me, I did my fair share of research and found that it is totally safe to take when nursing and it really works. My baby is growing like crazy and I am finally satisfying him again. It feels great to not stress about how much milk am I going to produce today?? Is it going to be enough?? Try it ... what do you have to loose?

Do you have a suggestion on how much to start with on the fenugreek??? I have done some research on it as well but haven't really found anything that gives me some kind of formula to calculate how much I should take... I read on most websites that 3 capsules a day should give me a good start. Should I start with that you think??? How much did you start with? I guess I need some reassurance from someone "real" who has used it. Thanks for your help! I'm getting close to desperation.

I used fenugreek when I was trying to build my freezer stash, and it worked for me in just a couple of days. I have not had to take it again for several weeks now. I took the recommended dose on the bottle wich was 2 capsules three times a day. On the second day I realized I did not need that much and took only one capsule twice a day. I did this for about three days and I had all the milk I could stand. The only thing that worried me is if the milk I was producing was formilk or hindmilk. Either way I used it! Hope this was helpful! I plan to use it again if my supply ever gets low!

Where do you find this? My milk is decreasing in the PM and I'm also tapping into my freezer stash.
    Mama to Aidan - 13 months

Fenugreek worked great for me, and I know it has helped a lot of other mamas, too. I am also fond of oatmeal as a galactagogue (thing to increase milk) - having a warm bowl in the morning not only helps my milk from the oatmeal, it helps it because I am sure to get a nutritious breakfast!

Here is some more info on fenugreek
    doses http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html.

Here's a great thread on affordable fenugreek http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=66407. Many of us have taken the seeds directly, you can see more info on that thread, and see doses on kellymom.

Re pills,
    I like iherb.com; their shipping is really cheap & their prices are good, too. (http://www.iherb.com/ProductsList.aspx?cid=2315&p=1). If you use code HAZ870 you'll get $5 off of your first order, too. (Full disclosure: they give me 50 cents of credit when the code is used.) One of the mamas here turned me on to this site, & now I get most of my pills here.

Also - are you continuing to pump for a few minutes after your milk stops flowing? Since a pump doesn't empty the breast as well as a baby does, you need to do this to keep your body from thinking that your baby has gotten less hungry at those "feedings".

, and let us know how it's going!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Just an update, my milk did go back up, haven't used the fenugreek yet though. I found that sometimes my let-down takes a really long time (change of location maybe had to do with it cuz i used to be embarrased but I don't care anymore! ), but thats another forum... Now also another issue, her intake is increasing due to a growth spurt I suspect this since she is outgrowing stuff she just wore last week! At least I know she's getting plenty when she nurses. I am going to try the fenugreek to make sure I can keep up. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommatoledo25 View Post
    Just an update, my milk did go back up
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommatoledo25 View Post
    Now also another issue, her intake is increasing due to a growth spurt I suspect this since she is outgrowing stuff she just wore last week! At least I know she's getting plenty when she nurses.
    3mo - yep, that's right on time for a big spurt. You can do it, mama!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png