Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: avocado?

Default Re: avocado?

It was my understanding that the risk of nitrates was only in babies younger than 6-7 mo. I had never before heard 9 mo! And carrots are NOT the only veggie that can contain high levels of nitrates; others include beets and spinnich.

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    It was my understanding that the risk of nitrates was only in babies younger than 6-7 mo. I had never before heard 9 mo! And carrots are NOT the only veggie that can contain high levels of nitrates; others include beets and spinnich.
    My ped warned me that nitrates are a risk in all root vegetables (since the soil is where the nitrate contamination comes in) and leafy vegetables. She instructed me to contact my local extension office about speial methods for cooking them when we decide to try them (we were discussing sweet potatoes and yams). And that buying organic is better ... but still doesn't lessen nitrate risks.

Nitrates and Homemade Baby Food

From Berkley parents forum:

"According to the book _Feeding your Child for Lifelong Health_ by Susan B. Roberts and Melvin B. Heyman (Jane Brody had given it a good write-up in the NY Times a few months ago), high-nitrate vegetables should not be home-prepared before eight months. ... High-nitrate vegetables include beets, carrots, green beans, squash, turnips, spinach and collard greens.

The reason to avoid nitrates, from what I understand of the authors' explanation, is that young babies convert nitrates (with an "a") into nitrites (with an "i"). Nitrites can cause a form of anemia called methemoglobinemia. As stated in the book, "... nitrites transform your baby's immature hemoglobin into methemoglobine, which is unable to transport life-sustaining oxygen around the body."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Yikes, thanks for the info! I had no idea it was ALL root veggies; most people will say sweet potatoes, squash, and yams are great first foods! What is safe for babies under 8 mo? Pears? Babananas? Basically just fruit and no veggies? I suppose grains such as rice as well as meats would be ok, but it sounds like pretty much all veggies are off-limits if you can't do any roots or leaves.

Obviously, we can avoid the risk of nitrates by using jarred food, but not everyone wants to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Yikes, thanks for the info! I had no idea it was ALL root veggies; most people will say sweet potatoes, squash, and yams are great first foods! What is safe for babies under 8 mo? Pears? Babananas? Basically just fruit and no veggies? I suppose grains such as rice as well as meats would be ok, but it sounds like pretty much all veggies are off-limits if you can't do any roots or leaves.

Obviously, we can avoid the risk of nitrates by using jarred food, but not everyone wants to do that.
    What my ped told me is that if you cook them the right way (we were talking about sweet potatoes specifically), they are fairly safe. I decided to just wait on it and never did get the information. So I'm not much help there.

Here are another couple sources I found:

Health Effects of Nitrate in Water and Homemade Baby Food

Nitrates in Household Water

It looks like household water is potentially the highest risk. I assume the nitrates in the water used to irrigate the crops is how it arrives in our veggies.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; August 24th, 2006 at 03:16 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

OMG!!! I am SUCH an idiot! WHY did I have to ASSUME that they were just because of things I'd heard! I cooked one carrot, and he had a few bites over the course of 2-3 days, so do you think he's okay????
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Melanie, you are not an idiot!!! Really!! And yes, I'm sure DS is just fine. Again.... remember that so much of this "information" is new in our generation of baby-raising. So many of us probably ate so many things as tiny tots that we would gag over now for our own kids. I had heard about turnips, too, come to think of it, but not sweet potatoes.

OK, I'm going to copy right out of Ruth Yaron's book on this topic here:

"WARNING: The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you wait until your baby is between 7-9 months old before you introduce homemade carrots, beets, turnips, spinach or collard greens. In some parts of the country, these crops contain nitrates, and may cause a type of anemia (methemoglobinemia) in young infants. Nitrates also form cancer-causing nitrosamines. Commercial baby food manufacturers can test for nitrates, but we parents can't. Some health professionals believe that any health-risk from high-nitrate vegetables in babies under 7 moths is so small that restriction is not really necessary. I recommend that no matter how small the risk, do not take the chance. Wait until your baby is at least 7 months old before feeding her these homemade foods."

That's a direct quote - page 38-39 from "Super Baby Food"

The risk from a few small exposures - and keep in mind, it's also possible that your carrots weren't from a high nitrate area - is not big. Your DS is fine!! Most of this is on the order of "better safe than sorry" kind of stuff....

Sorry to have caused undue stress.... I seem to be doing alot of that here today!!

-linda

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

So none of these sources mention sweet potatoes/yams or regular potatoes, yet these grow in the ground as well... just wondering what the criteria is?

Here is a good article about nitrate.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm
    SAHW to C and SAHM to my identical boys J & A born 1/7/06 & my little girl K born 8/21/08.

oh hun you are not causing undue stress you are teaching me things I didn't know, trust me, I am a big worry wart, when it comes to DS it does not take much to "freak me out" lol hubby gives me a hard time all the time, thanks for taking the time to post that! I just love this board, someone always knows the answer! lol Love You all!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC