Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avocado?

Question avocado?

How do you prepare it for babe? I have offered him carrots as his first, now I want to try avocado, but never done much with it other than eat it raw myself lol TIA
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Default Re: avocado?

Chop it into small bite sized chunks and let baby self-feed, or mash it up with a fork or spoon and feed with a spoon or on your finger. Does your baby pick things up yet? If so, see how he does with the small chunks; he'll learn more from the expirence than he would from just being spoon-fed.

Melanie, Just a word of caution about carrots. In general, babies under 9 months old shouldn't be eating fresh carrots or carrots that we buy and cook ourselves. Carrots have to be grown in specific areas of the country for them to be safe for babies because they absorb a high level of nitrates from soil. Carrots that go into jarred baby foods are specially grown to make sure that nitrate levels are safe..... carrots are - to my understanding - the only veggies that have this issue. If DS already had some, don't stress - just keep this in mind for the future....
    -linda

Linda, thank you for sharing that info about carrots...I'd had no idea! Now I know and can prevent DD from having them for another month or so.

Thanks!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

omg I didn't know that, what can it do to them? Thank you for sharing Linda! I really need to get some of those books so I don't have to make a post before every veggie or fruit lol

DS is just over five months old so chunks would not be a good idea lol so do I need to cook it or anything first or can I put the avocado in a mini chopper too?

I am heading to the library this weekend to see if they have any of the books suggested to me in the other thread, I feel like a moron, not watching out for my son properly ugh!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

Really, don't stress, Melanie! If you want, I can also photocopy some good sections of Ruth Yaron's book and put them into USMail to you sometime in the next week or so. Would that help?? If so, PM me and give me your mailing address.

For the avocado, as long as it's ripe, just mash it up well with a fork. Or, you can use your little black and decker chopper to puree it smooth. Either is fine, depending on how your DS is liking things these days. You can also thin the mush out some with either water or breastmilk. Breastmilk will be a familiar taste element for him. Water - at this age of baby - should ideally be bottled water and not tap, unless you know your water quality is really good. By about 7-9 months, our ped said it was fine to go to tap water and actually preferable since it has flouride for his teeth....

I don't know exactly what nitrates would do - but know that at this age it's best to avoid them. Our pediatrician made a big deal about it, which is why it stuck in my head. I'll try to remember to look in some of m books tonight and see if there is info in detail. (Sorry; really scrambling since our childcare person is sick this week and both DH and I are swamped at work but are also taking care of J during the days - to be honest, I'm a heck of a lot happier home taking care of J, but I've got 3 hours in the office right now....)

-linda

Quote Originally Posted by Amber
    Linda, thank you for sharing that info about carrots...I'd had no idea! Now I know and can prevent DD from having them for another month or so.
    If you opt for a jarred (I'm always biased towards organic, if you can, for something I'm not making myself - except those darn gerber prunes that J loves...) kind, you're fine, just FYI.... it's only "home made" carrots as babyfood that are less safe when LOs are young - I *think* it's 9 months? I'll try to find out.

-Linda

thanks hun, I am going to check the library, but if they don't have the books, maybe I will take you up on the offer for some samples from the book... all I know is I am not going with "assumptions" anymore or whatnot, cause clearly I am wrong... I didn't know that for fresh carrots couldn't be used, just knew that carrots was one of the first veggies offered for most... I also rather make it than get jarred food... thanks again!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

My DD has really enjoyed avocado chopped up into bite sized pieces. I suppose you could mash it and feed it with a spoon too. Either way, I hope your lo enjoys it!!

Check out this thread for more ideas on avocado and alternatives.
    http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=6618

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on