Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping with "Whisper Breast Pump" ?

Default Pumping with "Whisper Breast Pump" ?

Hello,
    I am recently registered here to get some help with pumping. I have been using for 9 months the symphony medella successfully. Next month, I am starting again my international meetings and think that the "whisper breast pump" should be more convenient (you have more mobility, you are not stuck to your chair).

Unfortunately, this pump is not known in France and I can't have any testimony from mothers using the same model.

Do some of you know this pump and what do you think about it ?

Thanks a lot !

Default Re: Pumping with "Whisper Breast Pump" ?

I bought the whisper wear pump about a month ago--
    I was nervous about buying it because I also has trouble finding many women who had tried it. So far, it has been great. I use it at work, and have even pummped durung small meetings. It is definitely hands free, so you can get work done while you pump. For me it has been a little less comfortable than the Medela PIS (feels a little pinchy on the nipples), but it has been about the same in effectiveness. Also, you have to use their plastic disposable bags. All in all, in has worked well for me, and it has been worth a lot to be able get other things done while pumping, and for it to be so discreet.

Thank you Portlandmama for your answer very helpful for me ! Would you mind if I have other questions ?

Do you think this pump efficient for a long-period pumping ? (I am pumping since April 2005 and expect to pump for still several months)

Is this pump noisy ? (in a meeting, can your neighbours guess that you are doing something )

Does it stand in your bra easily ?

Thanks a lot

I plan to use it for long-term pumping, so I hope it is good for this. It isn't too noisy, but people definitely know something is going on. I use it during small meetings, where I let people know ahead of time that I would be pumping. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it in a more formal meeting. When I have run into people at work while I am pumping, I either just tell them I am pumping, or else I tell them I am a robot (that is what it sounds like). I haven't had any trouble fitting it in my bra, but the company recommends trying it with several different bras. I use it with a no-underwire Medela nursing bra most of the time, and it fits in and stays put just fine.

If your workplace has the type of environment where you feel comfortable with everyone knowing that you are pumping, you could easily put it on and go about your daily business. If you don't want people to necessarily know you are pumping, you would still want to be in a room by yourself, but at least you could get some work done while you pump.

I hope this helps!

Exclamation Re: Pumping with "Whisper Breast Pump" ?

I have been using the Whisper Wear double pump for 5 months. I have recently had one of the pumps just completely stop working. I have to send it out for service. The other pump seems to have lost its "charm" also. I will be sending both of them.

When I first used this pump it was very effective and comfortable. Over time, I feel it just didn't work as well. I did enjoy using this pump for the simple fact that you can get other things done, if you use battery power. I found the batteries only lasted a week or 2. I recently purchased the AC adapter to save on batteries. I also thought it would solve my problem with effectiveness. No such luck.

It is a little bit of a hasle to have to order the bags online and wait for them to arrive. I would like to be able to just run to a store and pick them up. It can also get a little pricey.

Since my pump is out-of-service, I purchased a manual pump to get me through it being serviced. It turns out it is more effective at expressing milk than the electric pump. I am curious to know if your body can become conditioned to a pump? After a while will every pump become less nad less effective? Is this also why mothers who exclusively pump have milk supplies that decrease over time? Either way, I am in no rush to get the pump serviced.

Thumbs down Re: Pumping with "Whisper Breast Pump" ?

OK, update on my experience with Whisper Wear.

Yesterday, I pumped as normal, and when I removed the pump, there was a horrible, liquid filled blister all over the surface of my nipple!! UGGG! As I said before, the pump always pinched a little, but this last time, it wasn't any more uncomfortable than usual, so I had no idea I was injuring my nipple. Because of the nature of the pump, you can't see how your nipple is doing in there until you turn it off and disconnect.

I don't know if I will ever use my Whisper Wear pump again, for fear of blistering my nipple. It is now painful to breastfeed off that side, and the blister fills with milk when I do--it is gross.

I would have to say I would NOT recommed this pump any longer.

And I just bought a slew of those stupid disposable bags...

I had this pump in 2003 and while I loved the idea it never worked for me. I pumped and pumped with it and never got more than probably 2 ounces total from ALL pumping sessions. (Not in one session, from every session put together.)

THank you all for your precise answers. I must say that I am now quite reluctant to buy this pump. Although I don't know any other pump that can allow you to move easily as the whisper breast pump.

Thumbs down Re: Pumping with "Whisper Breast Pump" ?

I bought a Whisper wear and I can't stand the thing. It is loud (I tried using it at work and everyone in the entire office kept asking "What is that noise?"), they are not dicreet at all (unless you consider going up 3 cup sizes for parts of the day discreet), they are uncomfortable (unless you buy a bra way to big), and they blistered my nipples so bad I couldn't even let my daughter latch on (not to mention I didn't want her drinking puss in case the blisters popped) and I couldn't use my regular pump either. I almost had to quit breastfeeding because of the thing, and the blisters only took 15 minutes to pop up. I tried calling the company but basically got told that the blisters were my fault and they had never heard of anyone else getting them and that the 90 day money back satisfaction guarantee didn't apply to my misuse of the product. Not to mention that it took 45 min for me to get 1/2 oz when an Ameda Purley Yours I would get 4 oz in 5 min. So I got stuck with the $200.00 bill for a lousy flimsy product. I even attempted to use it again after my blisters were gone and the things stopped working. I wouldn't waste your money. The product is faulty, misrepresented (that it is quiet and discreet) and the customer service is lousy.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

The reports I have seen about this pump indicate that it works well for some women (anectdotally about 50%) but because there aren't different sized "flanges" for the pump, it does not work for some women who it physically doesn't fit well.

If you can find a place that would let you try it out, that might be a better bet (though I recognize you mentioned not being able to find anyone who has used it.)

Best wishes,
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL