Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oh No! Pump broken at work and not sure what to do!

Default Oh No! Pump broken at work and not sure what to do!

I am feeling so dumb right now. I have been meaning to get replacement parts for my pump and haven't gotten around to it. Now I have a broken pump and an 8 hr shift at work. I'm panicking about my supply but not sure if I can realistically ask for another day off.

I had to clean the tubes on my pump (I keep getting milk in there, but that's another issue) and this time I think they were still too wet and the bacteriostatic filter got wet. Now there is zero suction.

I am at work until 6pm. My supply has been dwindling and I have been working so hard to keep up. But I've also been taking a lot of days off because my baby (5 months) has been sick.

Can I survive a day without pumping? Will my supply recover? Or do I tell my boss I need to go home today? Luckily, I have the next 2 days off so it will just be the one day w/o pumping. (fingers crossed replacing the filter will fix all)

Advice please!

Default Re: Oh No! Pump broken at work and not sure what to do!

You could maybe try hand expressing? It might take longer but at least you'll be getting some milk out so you don't get engorged

You can survive, but I would not suggest trying it. Not being able to pump is a medical concern and warrants taking time off, imo. Not removing milk may lead to you getting very ill and even more time off.

However, if that is not possible, I strongly strongly suggest hand expressing. If you have never done this before, don't expect miracles, but any milk removed will help prevent further issues. If you cannot figure out how to save the milk, don't worry about it, it is more important to get some milk out.

Or what about running to store to get inexpensive hand pump? Fine in emergency situation.

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

Do you have health insurance? They should be providing you with a pump if you are in US.

If not, I suggest look around locally for free or low cost pumps- call local WIC, Breastfeeding Coalition, doctor or hospital? Ask about rental pumps as well?

If pump is out of warrantee or breaking down, it is probably too old to be used by a mom who is trying to increase her milk production. I mean, anything is better than nothing but in such a situation you want a really excellent pump.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; March 12th, 2015 at 12:14 PM.

I have done it once or twice and felt fine and it didn't cause any issues. If you feel really engorged then you would need to do something about it. I would hand express in such a situation. You don't say how old your baby is and not sure how often you pump.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

He is 5 months and I try to pump 3 times during the work day. I'm mostly concerned that 1) He's drinking his daily fill at day care right now with no more milk coming in and 2) I've been working to increase my supply and a day without demand will set me back. I've never been able to get more than a squirt or two with hand expression, but it didn't even occur to me to buy a hand pump! it was a long night last night.

I did get my pump through my insurance. I'm pretty sure i just need to replace one part and it was 100% my fault that the filter got wet

Thank you for the support.

Do you want any suggestions for the low production issue going forward? Let us know.

I'm guessing you have a Hygeia since you mention the filter and milk in the tubes. I keep extra everything on hand which you may want to do in the future. I learned that the hard way with baby 1. I also learned having a backup pump is a good idea. But I think you can get a loaner pump if you have to send it back to Hygeia for repair. But for now, is there a hospital supply store or Babies R Us or somewhere that you can rent a pump? Are you in U.S.? Or is there someone you trust who can loan you one until yours is working? Normally that's not recommended but I borrowed a pump from a friend for a while and all was ok.

I had the same problem with my Hygeia Enjoye. I loved the pump except for the poor design that also led to me getting milk in the tubes way too often. I actually pulled the tubes off the filter one night and broke a little piece off of the pump itself (where the filter screws onto the pump) and my husband had to hot glue on the filters (and pry them off) everytime I got milk in the tubes (and usually the filter)...This led to me being so stressed that it would happen at work and I'd be stuck with a pump that had to go through significant work to replace the filter just to get it working again. Hygeia really needs to fix this design issue. It's not really your fault. Poor pump design!