Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply

Unhappy Milk Supply

My son was born two months premature so I wasn't able to breast feed him for two months. When I started to BF, he didn't do very well because he was accustomed to the bottle. So my milk supply has gone down drastically. Does fengugreek really help? I want to be able to bf until he's one or a litlle older please help.

Default Re: Milk Supply

Hi! Congratulations on the birth of your baby, and it's great to hear that you were so dedicated to pumping and giving him breastmilk!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some concerns about your supply. May I ask how old your baby is? Lots of preemies have trouble nursing until around their due date, so if you're not there yet, hang in there! The best thing for low supply is to nurse baby often. So even if he's still really little and gettig the hang of things, your supply will benefit if you put him to the breast frequently. Like, even every hour. This will help to stimulate more milk production. Ideally, you want to address the issue that led to low supply first, so whether that was latching and milk transfer, supplementing, or what have you, unless you fix he original concern, supply will continue to be an issue, kwim? An IBCLC (lactation consultant) can help you with your concerns, giving you hands-on help to fix things. Your local LLL leader can also help.

So if you've done all that and need to use herbs, fenugreek is a good one. Lots of mamas here (myself included) have had really good results with it. Many women take three pills, three times a day. You need to take enough so that your sweat and pee smells like maple syrup. So some women take more, some less. I found that I had best results when I combined the fenugreek with blessed thistle. I used the tincture diluted in a little water. The blessed thistle helps with letdown, the fenugreek helps with milk production. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by @llli*jessruff; February 8th, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

he is two months corrected. I don't know what exactly caused the decrease but it happened just before he came home. He's now taken to bf, but it seems as if I never have enough milk and most of the time I have to supplement afterwards with formula . We even bf almost every 1-2 hrs. I'll have to look into the fengugreek and thistle thanks!

Also, keep in mind that they do have growth spurts pretty regularly in the first few months. Does he have good latch, and good milk transfer? If so, then you may want to avoid supplementing and just keep putting him back to the breast, since each time you supplement, your body isn't getting those signals to produce more milk. You could also pump after nursing if you do have to supplement just to keep those signals coming. It's all supply and demand so you want to make sure you're not sabotaging your supply by creating less demand, kwim?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

How about a four and half year old. This is my second child. At her last visit she weighed int he 95th percentile. However, i'm having trouble pumping milk ? I work 2-3 hours a day. I need to increase my milk suppy so i may pump. Wjhat is that stuff you suggested for the other mom to take?