Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking ahead with a picky nursling

Default Looking ahead with a picky nursling

My 15 week old DD is a picky girl. To be fair, she's got issues with reflux that probably keep her from wanting to comfort nurse. But anyway, I really want to nurse past one with her. I am wondering if any of you mamas that have nursed toddlers started out with a LO like mine and settled into a good, long BF relationship. I have loads of regret about pushing my first DD to wean at 1 (another story) and my second DD was not a comfort nurser and dropped me at 1.

DD is distractible. Even when she's happy to nurse (basically only lying down), she pulls off and flirts and won't eat. She won't NIP. She really only nurses when she's asleep or very sleepy. We are cosleeping now because she won't eat otherwise and I am thinking it's the only way she will continue nursing.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Default Re: Looking ahead with a picky nursling

My issues in my nursing relationship with my son early on were a bit different -- but he was a refluxer, too, and only nursed a few minutes at a time. There were times, especially in the first 4-5 months, when I was so miserable at every nursing session, as was he, that I wasn't sure we'd ever make it.

My son is 21 months old now, and still nursing! We have been through a lot together, and I am so glad we both stuck with breastfeeding, even though it was extremely difficult at times (and recommended against by physicians).

Hang in there!
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Hang in there. I found nursing from 0-1 very difficult and not all that rewarding. My DS stuggled w/ reflux, refusing to NIP, severe tongue tie, and many nursing strikes. I sometimes felt like nursing held us back from getting out and doing things since he was awful at NIP. My DS was also highly distracted.

After 1 we found it a lot easier for the most part. And I will tell you that nursing a toddler is one of the most wonderful things I have ever done in my life. Yes we still occasionally run into snags, but for the most part it's a mutually respectful breastfeeding relationship.

We're at 20 months and going strong.

Keep with it momma, it's worth it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I am definitely committed. Some seem to think I am selfishly committed because they buy into the idea that thickening her milk and bottlefeeding is best with reflux. I DO have a vision of nursing my LO a long time but I don't think it's selfish.

I feel better prepared this time around but I would like to get to the point where DD is clamoring to get in my lap and nurse rather than shunning me...I don't mean at every feeding but sometimes would be good.

We did use zantac for about 8 months and it helped alleviate the reflux for my son.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09