Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help with sick 15 month old

Default Need help with sick 15 month old

Not sure if this is where this post belongs, but here goes...

My DD threw up for the first time last night. It was a huge surprise to us and, especially, to her. She only ever really spit up twice as an infant, so we've been very fortunate in the area. After she threw up the first time, we cleaned her up and she nursed napped for a bit. Afterwards, she was up playing for a while like nothing ever happened, so when she asked for something to eat, we obliged. An hour or so later, it all came up. Funny thing is that she nursed a several times throughout last night and again this morning, and my milk doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. Should I continue to exclusively feed her BM for a while? If so, for how long? When she awoke from her nap this morning she saw our food bowls out and starting pointing as is she were hungry. I don't want to deprive her...but I don't want to put her through the misery of getting sick again either.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Need help with sick 15 month old

One of the awesome things about nursing is that BM counts as a 'clear' liquid and they can have as much as they need when they are sick, no need to limit it.

It sounds like a typical tummy bug to me, those usually only last a day or 2 in my experience. I would just keep letting her nurse as much as she wants, and as far as food, maybe just do the BRAT diet for today and then let her move back to her regular diet as she tolerates it. Hope she feels better soon!
    ~Michelle~

Married to the love of my life, Nicholas on 5-6-06

Mother to:

Calum, 2-27-2003 5 lbs 8 oz, Breastfed until 5-23-2003

Gavin, 12-21-06 7 lbs 2 oz, Breastfed until 4-1-08

Gabrielle, 2-3-09 6 lbs 1 oz, drinking nothing but mama milk!

Grace, Gabrielle's Twin, our Angel in Heaven

(BTW, BRAT is Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. You can substitute plain noodles for the toast.) And I would do as little solid food as you can get away with, so as not to aggravate that poor little stomach.

The great thing about BF is that you don't have to worry about your LO getting dehydrated the way you would if you were FF - they want the comfort of nursing, and they get the BM as a bonus! If you take some extra Vitamin C yourself, you will pass some of it along to your LO, too.

BTW, do you realize what a kudos it is to you that it has taken this long for your LO to get this sick? Go, BF mama!!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks! She seems to be doing okay today. She's had a few animal crackers and a bit of toast and so far so good. Oh, and lots of mama milk . I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Aww, I hope she keeps feeling good.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

So glad to hear she is feeling better! I agree with PP, that's awesome that she didn't get sick until then! Way to go, Mama!!

My LO didn't get his first tummy bug until he was almost 2...right before the holidays this year. I was devastated that I couldn't nurse him through it, but he had weaned months before. But I was proud that it took him that long to get sick, and I totally credit the BF for that one! Mama milk is good stuff!
    ~Michelle~

Married to the love of my life, Nicholas on 5-6-06

Mother to:

Calum, 2-27-2003 5 lbs 8 oz, Breastfed until 5-23-2003

Gavin, 12-21-06 7 lbs 2 oz, Breastfed until 4-1-08

Gabrielle, 2-3-09 6 lbs 1 oz, drinking nothing but mama milk!

Grace, Gabrielle's Twin, our Angel in Heaven

Blech! Just when I thought we had gotten off easy she on me again. We made a whole day and a half with no symptoms.