Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek and thirst

Question Fenugreek and thirst

Hi all! I have been battling with my supply since Christmas and was pretty much down to nothing to the point that if my DD was getting 1 oz of BM a day I was doing good. She all but refuses to nurse at all anymore, latching for about 10 sec per side before refusing it altogether. I had gotten fed up with using formula and decided that I WAS going to BF if I had to kill myself trying. So pumping like crazy, nursing as much as she's willing and having little success with that. Couldn't afford More Milk Plus, but lady at health food store recommended Vitanica's LactationBlend. Took that for almost a week and nothing. In tears I took off back to the store to get straight fenugreek. Took one dose and with next pump session noticed a small increase. Ok, progress! Small, but I'll take it, right? Took another dose about 2 hours ago and since then I have not been able to go back to bed on account of this insatiable thirst! I'm sure the extra water can do nothing but help my plight, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them while taking fenugreek. Thanks for any response!

Default Re: Fenugreek and thirst

Hi, I can hardly remember the simptoms I had with fenugreak... I only used for few days thougth, and didnt see much of a difference on my supply... I think the only side effect was headackes.... Great job mama.. and drink water to your please.... it wont hurt

I have had the suspicion that fenugreek makes me thirstier...As you say, it can only help supply.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Thanks ladies, for your replies. It hasn't been as bad since that dose that made me write in, but I do stay fairly thirsty all the time. Then again, I was like that before BF'ing so I don't know. Could have been a transitional thing I guess. All I know is I have been smelling like pancakes for about 2 days now so that's good. Slowly increasing since starting fenugreek, but still nothing compared to what she needs. Seriously considering renting a pump. Love my PIS, but this is the 3rd baby it's serviced and I'm wondering if it's getting ready to bite the big one. I do know I'm not ready to give up yet, though. Gotta tell you, I never understood all those ladies who had problems with their supply as I always made plenty for my other 2. But now I do and it's a terrible thing to go through. to all of you women who are struggling to do the best by your baby!
    Raising my children is the greatest career I can imagine. The pay is low, the hours are long, but the benefits and rewards are infinite!