Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do i...

Default How do i...

leave DD over with grandma for ONE night without me..

Do i pump while shes there.. how will she stay asleep during the night, should i give grandma pumped bm in a bottle for her or a sippy since she's over 1.

I REALLYYYY want to go to this slumber/passion/military wives sleep over coming up at the end of this month...

but im scard and have no clue how to leave DD alone for the night without me.
    I'll be a good hour and a half away too, so its not like i can just RUSH over incase soemthing goes wrong?

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: How do i...

I work night shift, so I leave my son at home with daddy 3 nights per week. I nurse him before I leave for work (6:30pm), sometimes he comes in "for a night cap," my husband calls it, around 8:30pm, and I nurse when I get home at 8am. I pump once during the night, whether he comes in or not, for comfort and to provide a bottle for the next night. If he does not come and visit at bedtime, he drinks a small bottle to go to sleep (usually 5 ounces or so). He still wakes up once in the night most of the time, but he has started sleeping through occasionally. This is VERY different from when I'm at home. When I'm home, he wakes at least twice and nurses a lot through the night.

Babies are very smart little beings. They know when breast feeding is an option and when it's not. I would suggest providing bottles of milk (sucking is still important for comfort at this age). And maybe send something that smells like you/home along. But don't worry about only one night. You might take a pump with you in case you wake up really full and need to pump, but maybe you won't need it.

Oh, and leave grandma the car seat. If all else fails, a ride in the car may help her get to sleep. It works for my husband.

Have a good time. HTH.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

how many times is she nursing during the night? DS sleeps longer w/o me cuz he know nursing is not an option. I give my mom 1 bag of milk for bedtime and he drinks water and cows milk the remainder. is she drinking any cows milk, water, juice? I wou;dn't give a sippy unless she is comfortable drinking from one.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I would drop her off and run!

When my inlaws babysit, it makes thing worse if we have a drawn out goodbye, DS freaks out. So we wait until he is playing or doing something and leave. Might sound mean, but it makes it easier on everyone!

It cant hurt to leave some BM, whether she drinks it or not. I bet she will sleep great to be honest. I would go for it! Believe me, it will be harder on you than it will be on miss Allie. She will have fun!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hls02 View Post

I already have Logan's bag packed for his overnight w/ Grandma in March. I'm like SEE YA!!!!!!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I'm so jealous of you moms who don't have problems leaving your LOs with other people at night. My 20 month old might fall asleep without me eventually, but then she's up a bunch of times and then when we get her home it takes several days before she's back to her normal sleeping habits (which is waking 0-1 times per night). Even napping at someone else's house causes her sleeping routine to be disrupted for a couple of days!
    I don't want to scare you off of going on that retreat you really want to go on, but my daughter is totally hooked on having her mommy at night time...and we don't even co-sleep!
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursienurse View Post

Babies are very smart little beings. They know when breast feeding is an option and when it's not. I would suggest providing bottles of milk (sucking is still important for comfort at this age). And maybe send something that smells like you/home along. But don't worry about only one night. You might take a pump with you in case you wake up really full and need to pump, but maybe you won't need it.

Oh, and leave grandma the car seat. If all else fails, a ride in the car may help her get to sleep. It works for my husband.

Have a good time. HTH.
    Yeah at night she actually nurses and not just comfert sucks, so id definalty probably need to leave some bm with her grandma for her during the night.

and ps, she hates the car, so the car for us, is a bad idea, LOL but thank you

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    how many times is she nursing during the night? DS sleeps longer w/o me cuz he know nursing is not an option. I give my mom 1 bag of milk for bedtime and he drinks water and cows milk the remainder. is she drinking any cows milk, water, juice? I wou;dn't give a sippy unless she is comfortable drinking from one.
    She nurses about 4-5 breasts during the night. she drinks a tinyy bit of juice mixed with water.. but no cows milk yet. im scared to try it with her. lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hls02 View Post

When my inlaws babysit, it makes thing worse if we have a drawn out goodbye, DS freaks out. So we wait until he is playing or doing something and leave. Might sound mean, but it makes it easier on everyone!

It cant hurt to leave some BM, whether she drinks it or not. I bet she will sleep great to be honest. I would go for it! Believe me, it will be harder on you than it will be on miss Allie. She will have fun!
    I never draw it out, shes always been good though when i leave her with ANYONE (thank you jesus for giving me the perfect baby my first baby lol) she loves her grandma & papa soo im sure they wil have a blastttttttttttttt! Im just scared cuz what if i need to RUSH to nurse her to back to sleep or something? I'll be over an hour away..

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*