Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Issues

Default Bottle Issues

I am going back to work soon and my son is only 4 weeks old. He has gotten bottles on occasion and he will take between 3 and 5 oz and get hungry 1.5 hours to 2 hours later, he will go 3-4 when taking it directly from the breast...any suggestions as to why this is happening and what I can do?!

Default Re: Bottle Issues

I also had the same issue.
    I realized when I pumped I wasn't emptying the breast which meant I wasn't pumping a lot of hindmilk and the bottle consistency was pretty light and watery. When I started emptying the breast more, the consistency of my milk was much thicker. This satisfied DS's needs a little better. This wasn't an issue when he nursed since he was pretty sufficient and would empty the breast at each feeding.
    Not sure if this could be an issue for you....

Im not sure... i usually pump until i stop spraying....

Spraying for me usually stops at about 7-8 minutes or so...then I get more of an accumulated drip . I continue to pump for a good 20mins and now have a second leftdown at about 16 minutes. This only lasts for a minute or so and then I pump for a few minutes after...How long is your pumping session?

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008