Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Day 3 back to work - am I getting enough milk?

Default Day 3 back to work - am I getting enough milk?

Hello. This is my third day back to work. My daughter is 3 months old tomorrow and seems to be taking about 3 - 3.5 oz per bottle feeding while I am at work.

I'm pumping about 8-9 oz while at work (pumping at 11 and 2). It seems to be decreasing a little each day so I'm getting really nervous. I read another post in this forum where women mentioned they were getting 17+ oz / day!

Our routine is this: I nurse her at 9:30PM and put her to bed. I nurse her when she wakes at 7 am, then I pump and get about 2 oz. I pump at work at 11 and 2 for about 10 minutes at a time. I drink a ton of water during the day.

I know that as she gets older she'll start to want more than 3.5 oz per bottle. Should I be worried that I'm not getting enough? I really want to continue to breast feed but now I'm starting to panic that I won't get enough milk...

Default Re: Day 3 back to work - am I getting enough milk?

It sounds like you are doing ok. I'd say that getting 17 oz is pretty rare. Different women are able to pump different amounts and it also is dependent on the pump you are using, how often or how long you're able to pump, your surroundings, etc.

Is there any way you can pump for a little longer? 10 minutes seems pretty fast. If you pump another 5-10 minutes you may be able to get another let down and end up with a significantly increased output.

Also, what kind of pump are you using?

Some women have luck eating oatmeal in the am, it seems to really increas pumping output. Then there are herbal supplements you can use to help your supply, like fenugreek or mother's milk tea.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm using a double Medela eletric pump, pump in style I think. I was surprised that it only took 15 minutes from start to finish, including set-up and breakdown. I'll try to increase my time for a second let down. I hadn't heard about that before! Thank you!

I'm going to try the oatmeal trick too. I hadn't heard that either.

Good luck! I don't know if your electric pump has an adjustable speed, but I had to pump really rapidly for about a minute (I had a hand pump) to get the second let down. Then once it started flowing I could slow down and just let the milk come out.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous