Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im worried, this is wrong..

Default Im worried, this is wrong..

So Dd's been eating soilds now for about a month she's been doing wonderfully eating 3 meals a day and some small snacks when we are out and about.. she's JUST turned 1 and if i dont offer the breast during the day she wont come to me to nurse. is this typically usual? She nurses throughout the night like a champ!! Im just scared she'll wean herself before we know it.

ALSOO she wants to always nurse to Nap, and im trying to break that habit so when i go back to work finally, she'll be able to fall asleep for naps while at the sitters..

I feel bad not nursing her to nap, but if i dont she wil get SUPER cranky and not fall asleep until liek she is literally rund own and just crash..

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: Im worried, this is wrong..

when are you going back to work?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Ally hardly ever asked to nurse. She wasn't really interested...ever. At around 7.5 months we were done. MY supply obviously wasn't very high b/c she just didn't care to be on the breast, even though she never had any issues. I couldn't figure it out.

ETA: Paige is right. You're doing just fine!!!
    Last edited by @llli*ak411; February 6th, 2009 at 12:28 PM.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Some kids are just less focused on eating than others. As long as she takes the breast when you offer it (at least sometimes) you are doing just fine. Her world is really expanding and opening up right now and it's a good sign that she is starting to explore it and become interested in other things.

I wouldn't worry too much about the nursing to nap thing, unless it is just getting to you to have to do it. They are pretty good about understanding that circumstances change and if mommy isn't there they will usually go to sleep just fine for someone else. It may take a bit of transition (or not, depending on the child and the caregiver), but she will definitely get used to falling asleep from someone else, esp since she is over a year. If she's nursing less at other times, I'd personally keep letting her nurse when she does want it to keep up supply and keep her interested in nursing- as long as it's working for you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My DS is 14.5 months and I've posted several times on here about his relatively detached attitude toward nursing. He still NEVER asks to nurse. We are down to BF before nap, before bed, and 2-3 times at night. Some children are just like this. He just simply does not want it enough to "ask" for it, although I've done everything humanly possible to keep him interested in the breast and to try to prevent him from weaning. He will refuse to nurse (adamantly) if I offer before dinner, for example, but then go get his sippy with water and bring it to me and eagerly "ask" me to help him drink from it. I've had a really hard time accepting that he is not one of those LO's who just LOVES to nurse, but it is clear to me that this is just the way it is and there is nothing more I can do to change that, as much as I'd like to. It's not wrong, it's just the way he is.
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; February 6th, 2009 at 02:18 PM.

DS is more interested in solids during the day, and nurses to sleep for naps and throughout the night. To my surprise, he falls asleep easily without me as long as I'm not around. Your LO might do the same if you aren't there.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Paige is right... your LO will go to sleep for a different caregiver without nursing. My LO goes to sleep at daycare just fine without nursing (and without her paci now! ), but on the weekends I still nurse her to sleep before her nap and she demands her pacifier too. They understand that the different caregiver doesn't have milk, so they won't miss it or ask for it. Also, I should mention, I just got back from my first overnight trip away from my LO, and although when I am around she INSISTS I put her down to sleep, she went to sleep just fine for DH and never tried asking him for the boob.

Also, as far as asking to nurse... my LO didn't start "asking" for it until the last 3-4 months (she's 16 months). Right around the 1 year point, she started trying to pull up my shirt, or she would use our word for nursing "moo moo's." And as the pp's said, some kids just don't think to ask for it and are too busy. As long as you are offering and she is willing to nurse, I'd say you're doing just fine.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    when are you going back to work?

anytime soon, like withint the next month ishh..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twokmommy View Post
    DS is more interested in solids during the day, and nurses to sleep for naps and throughout the night. To my surprise, he falls asleep easily without me as long as I'm not around. Your LO might do the same if you aren't there.
    If i nurse to nap, you all know they are out like a light in 2.2.. so its nice cuz it gives me time to do things, and the other day when i tried the no nursing to nap, it was ridicoulus!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Paige is right... your LO will go to sleep for a different caregiver without nursing. My LO goes to sleep at daycare just fine without nursing (and without her paci now! ), but on the weekends I still nurse her to sleep before her nap and she demands her pacifier too. They understand that the different caregiver doesn't have milk, so they won't miss it or ask for it. Also, I should mention, I just got back from my first overnight trip away from my LO, and although when I am around she INSISTS I put her down to sleep, she went to sleep just fine for DH and never tried asking him for the boob.

Also, as far as asking to nurse... my LO didn't start "asking" for it until the last 3-4 months (she's 16 months). Right around the 1 year point, she started trying to pull up my shirt, or she would use our word for nursing "moo moo's." And as the pp's said, some kids just don't think to ask for it and are too busy. As long as you are offering and she is willing to nurse, I'd say you're doing just fine.

Buff
    Today I left DD with grandma while I went and did things iwth my girlfriend, she woke up at 7am and nursed,, i tried nursing her about 11 befoer we went cuz i knew id be gone for a while.. but she was to happy to see her auntie & grandma so she woudlnt nurse.. she ate REALLY good for gradnma while i was out.. even fell asleep perfectly with grandma for a nap. So i know the napping isnt a thing naymore.. I got home about4pm.. and she was definalty ready to nurse then she was doing her "sign" for nursing witch is the more sign.. i nursed her then... and JUSt nursed her to sleep at 10 & thats all she's nursed today

during the night she'll nurse about 4-5 breasts worth so thats alot rightt?

ps.. how did it go over night iwthout your LO, did you pump at all to relive the pressure? cuz today when I got home from not nursing DD from 7am-4pm I was so full it hurtttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

I wouldn't worry about the nap thing. What a child does and expects with you and when you are not around is not the same.
    My son who is three STILL wants me nurse him up and down for his naps. And I do. 2 days a week. 3-4 days a week someone other than me lays down with him that doesn't have his "Noonies" and he goes to sleep just fine. AND 2-3 days a week he lays down on a cot in a room with 6 other kids and goes to sleep by himself with no help from anyone.
    I stayed home with him until was 14months old. And as soon as I went back to work and he started days care he started sleeping like that at daycare. And I had left him before at home. And he always just laid down with whoever was here watching him.
    Don't worry about it and don't let going back to work be the reason you cut one of your sessions. Whoever watches her will work it out with her. And it can still be something you guys so when your together!

Way too lazy for formula

Don't offer, don't refuse IS a weaning technique. So it might help for you to offer the breast if you want her to continue. Not saying she is weaning, but sometimes busy toddlers need reminders to come to the breast.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)