Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Think my LO may be starting to self wean

Default Think my LO may be starting to self wean

Last night for the first time, my LO, Peanut fell asleep after her dinner, as we were watching TV. Normally, she always is happy and excited to nurse to sleep, but she seemed very content not to. I knew the day would come, but didn't think it would happen already. And maybe it's just fluke. She recently has STTN, the first time in months. She is going to be 9 months this month. I am glad that she is finally sleeping more at night, because I was getting very worn out, but i do miss the night time nursings, too! Now I only get to nurse first thing in the morning and sometimes before bed. Any advice on how to cope with this transition? My goal was one year, so if she is doing this on her own, I am glad, because we are close to our goal!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

Default Re: Think my LO may be starting to self wean

She sounds like a sweet little baby girl!

Truly, though, it is extremely rare for a baby to really self-wean before 1 year of age. In fact, it's really not a good idea because it would seem difficult for them to reach nutritional requirements without nursing until at least that age. I'm not saying you should force feed her, but breastmilk is still the best nutrition. If she is only nursing twice each day, what else is she eating? Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Also, if she's only STTN once I wouldn't count on that continuing. So be prepared for her to want to nurse at night when teething, illness, growth spurts, etc. hit. Maybe you'll get lucky and she's just a great sleeper, though!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Sorry for the confusion. I pump while I am at work, and she gets bottles from my mom during the day with her food. I do not have a great supply, so I have to supplement a little formula in with her bottles to give her enough. She only nurses from me 2x a day now...of course I'll let her nurse from me at night. We were co-sleeping before, but we would wake each other up too often, so we decided to discontinue that. Now, we are both getting much needed rest!

She may not be self weaning, I could be wrong. I just know that she has a couple times now, when she would normally comfort nurse, not to do. I am sure she will still nurse at night to get to sleep and then if she wakes up, most of the time. We'll see how it goes!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

My LC explained to me that a lot of times babies between 9-10 months begin to exhibit self weaning signs, but that doesn't mean they want or need to wean.

Many times moms take this to mean they are ready to wean and then do so prematurely when it is just basically changes in behavior. GL.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thank you for this! I would have taken it as her being ready, etc. I am happy to report that she was back to nursing to sleep the next night! That made my heart skip a beat to be back in the same ol routine!

May 16, 2008