Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby led solids suggestions

Default baby led solids suggestions

i'm starting my 6mo dd on baby led solids; much to the dismay of my family! i have the baby led weaning book and i love it, but i could use a little more info on specific foods during the day that little one can have. i try to give her a little of what i'm having, green bean, squash, etc, but what do you moms do at mexican restaurants, etc. . .?

she loves feeding herself, but my mom and mil think it is ridiculous that i'm not giving her nasty puree.

also, any of you have any experience with day care and baby led solids?
    Wife to Larry since 7-08-06, Mom to Merryn, born 7-28-08
    We're trying to while going to work, finishing school, and keeping family first

Default Re: baby led solids suggestions

When DS was just starting out with BLS - I'd bring along some little containers of foods that I knew he was eating (or likely to eat). At that age, they don't need a "meal" so just a little something for DS to nibble on to be part of the social eating experience. I also found that most restaurants were great at making a special little plate with foods for DS (such as fruit he was eating, or slices of avocado).

For day care - my dcp thought I was nuts but I did NOT send ANY food with DS to day care until he was doing a good job self feeding and I felt confident that he'd do okay. I think he was 9 mo when I first sent food to day care and the dcp freaked out when it was things like steamed carrots or green beans and not jars of puree. I did a demo of DS self-feeding and she was very suprised. She still thought I was nuts.

For day care - I also ONLY sent in foods that DS had already eaten and "mastered". We saved all experimentation with new foods or new ways of eating a food for at home.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My mom thought I was crazy at first, too. But then when she saw how well dd did with eating on her own, she became a total BLS convert.

In the early months I'd usually bring my own food for dd when we went out. Bringing pre-cut strips of toast, fruit, veggies or whatever is usually not too hard or messy if you know you're going to be out and it's probably the safest route, especially in the beginning. If we were at a buffet or something I could usually find fruit or veggies she could eat, or bread. And I would generally try to order something that I felt she could have bites of if I could find it. I think I ordered some avacado for her once at a mexican resteraunt, but it had a funny taste to it and I suspected they put something on it to keep it from turning brown (the moral of that story is- always taste what you're giving lo in a restaraunt before you give it to them)

Once you start introducing other foods you can do stuff like rice, beans, cheese quesadilla strips at the Mexican resteraunt, or pieces of grilled chicken, noodles, things like that.

At home I usually gave her whatever we were eating, sometimes I'd take her portion out before I salted or seasoned it for us. We did cheese, strips of lunchmeat, a lot of fruit, steamed veggies, etc. Pasta and beans were always a big hit for her as well, but I think that came a bit later- maybe 7-8 months, I can't remember.

Good luck, mama. Stick to your guns and you might be surprised how impressed your mother and MIL are.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

About day care, my daughter was at home until she was around 9 months and at that point she ate whatever they were serving the older kids for meals. They were a bit surprised that she wasn't on purees, but didn't seem to mind not having to go to the extra effort of spoon feeding her.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

*bump*
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png