Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Legal rights!

Angry Help with Legal rights!

Ladies,

A LLL friend of mine is struggling with depression. She has been in counciling and was even on an anti-depressant for awhile, but weaned off several months ago. Monday, she had an "attack" where she felt suicidal. She responded by calling her councilor who recommended she go to a Pschciatrist. She caled to make the appointment but they could not get her in for three weeks. Her counsilor recommended that she go to the ER to get a prescription anti-depressant since she could not be seen. My friend thought this seemed an odd way to go about this, but the counsilor reassured her that it would be fine.

It wasn't.

She was admitted to an inpatient facility and now they are refusing to let her have access to her 18 month old baby who still nurses a couple times during the day and every three hours at night. They told her that if she refussed the treatment that she would be court ordered to attend and that the refussal of treatment would be documented against her.

Her husband has had to take off work to take care of the two children (4 yo, 18 month old). Last night the baby screamed all night long, signing "Milk, Milk!" He did the best he could but...

She has a lactina pump, but is not letting down -- she is so upset! (Did I mention that she is in a room that she shares with all the women in the facility?)

Can anyone inform me of her legal rights? Does she have a right to nurse her baby? She lives in The United States in Oklahoma. I have contacted lactation consultants and they are hesitant to get involved.

Help!

Default Re: Help with Legal rights!

I'm so sorry for your friend! What a terrible situation to be in. I don't have much experience in this area, but it sounds to me like your friend and her family need 2 things right away:

1. A private psychiatrist- someone needs to keep calling until they find a doc who is willing to take her on as a patient and who is willing to work with her as a nursing mother (i.e. not recommend weaning)

2. A lawyer- someone who can help her and her family navigate the legal implications of her choices

IMHO, separating a mom from her baby is putting her at risk for more severe depression and also putting her at physical risk: if she is unable to express her milk she could wind up engorged or with mastitis, and that's not going to do her any good.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have a partial update. The doctor is now willing to allow the baby to come once a day to nurse.

This is not ideal, but at least he won't "forget how"

Can you imagine what he is going through? It is like being abandoned.

The family wrote to Jack Newman who sent articles saying how traumatic this sort of thing is to little ones. The inpatient staff said that they didn't believe it.

*bump*

That's terrible! I hope they get a lawyer & get things straightened out fast. I will keep that family in my prayers.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Wow I am speachless... Did they get a lawer yet? do you her conditions as far as why she wanted to attend suicidal? I will keep them in my prayers...

This is terrible! I just can't imagine and am in tears at the thought of that baby crying and signing milk all night. When my DD wakes at night, she cries and signs milk, and I just can't imagine if I were forbidden to give it to her. So sad!

How horrible and so sad I would think that taking her away from her children would just make her mental state worse. How long has she been in there? I think here in Indiana they can only hold you for so many hours and after that they have to get a court order or you have to agree to stay. I can not even imagine being away from my 18 over night let alone for days. That poor momma and baby

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

I will keep this family in my prayers. Please keep us updated.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I wonder how things are going now with your friend and her baby. How great of you to offer your help!

I just wanted to note that if you still have specific legal questions, please contact a local LLL Leader (see find local support box at the top of this page). It's unlikely that the first Leader you contact will have the information you need, but you may ask her to get in touch with a Professional Liaison Leader who can access more legal information.

I hope that helps and hope your friend can find a way to get the help she needs while her baby gets her needs met.
    Sue
    LLL Leader