Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cleaning my pump??? AND...pumping into Playtex bags?

Default Cleaning my pump??? AND...pumping into Playtex bags?

I wash eight of the Medela bottles every night, by hand, hot soapy water, etc.

In a magazine, I read that a mom puts her pump parts into the Medela Micro Steam bags and cleans them like that.

Don't they need to be rinsed first? Scrubbed?

Is there a faster way to clean these?

I am also using the Playtex disposables. They have bags that say, "Perfect for freezing and storing breastmilk." Well, there aren't any ziplock things on these bags. Are they like the CFS bags from Medela that require twisty ties? If so, I would have to buy those separately...anyone use the Playtex things too?

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Cleaning my pump??? AND...pumping into Playtex bags?

Hi Julie, Welcome!! I always washed/scrubbed my bottles with hot soapy water as well - and then steam-disinfected in one of the Medlea microwave bags. I absolutely agree; you must rinse/wash them at the very least. What good is microwaving a bottle that has lots of milk residue and yuck splattered all over it?? I think you *can* skip the sterilization part if you wash with hot soapy water and rinse well, but not the inverse.

Sorry; have never used the playtex bags so can't help you with that part. Have used several hundred of the Medeal CSF, though!

-linda

This website http://www.mothersmilkmate.com/ has a great product for storing breastmilk. It works great for storage. Plus, I found that anything that screws onto a medeal bottle will also screw onto these storage bottles.
    SAHW to C and SAHM to my identical boys J & A born 1/7/06 & my little girl K born 8/21/08.

i'm one of those first-time moms who sterilize everything! so i wash the bottles with hot soapy water and then put them in the sterilizer. as for my pump parts, i also use the medela micro steam bags. they are very convenient for me to use at work. i thoroughly rinse the parts in warm/hot water (i don't wash with soap), and then put them in the bag and microwave.

same with jsmom (linda), i haven't used the playtex bags....

I use the Playtex nurser system and I bought the Premium Nurser Newborn Gift set and it came with an adapter for different breast pumps. I use the PIS Advance and the bottle adapter fits on the pump adapter. I can pump right into the bottle. I work from home, so this is convenient for me to pump and hand off to the nanny to feed my DD. The set also comes with a storage cap. When I pump, I pump both sides at the same time and I would rather pump into the playtex bottle with the liner than pump into the plastic bottles and have to clean them.

Here is the playtex link that describes what is in the gift set. I bought my set at Target.

http://www.playtexbaby.com/bottlesan...tartersets.asp

Here is the link for just the storage kit (I didn't buy this, but it looks like it has the same stuff that comes with the gift set):

http://www.playtexbaby.com/bottlesan...ng.asp#onestep

Hope this helps!!

Kristy
    Last edited by kci3673; August 24th, 2006 at 12:35 PM.

I generally use the Medula Steam bags at work. I just lightly wash and rinse with hot water then microwave. If I was at home, I would just wash them with hot water and soap in the sink. Some really great storage bags are the Lansinoh bags. They have built in double seal zippers and are heavier than the Gerber bags. I used the gerber bags for a while, but hated keeping track of the clips for the bags. I like the built in ziplock type zippers.

I have always used the Lansinoh bags, LOVE THEM. There was one day that I forgot bottles to pump into so I just used the bags, and rubber-banded them to the horns of my pump. It worked. And I know the Gerber bags here are double zippered also, but not a thick as the Lansinoh, (same price, so I go with the stronger feeling bag).

I wash my pump parts once a day, then put them in the cooler bag in the fridge at work. I do use the Micro Steam bags sometimes, if there is no time to run the dish washer. Once a week all my breastpump parts go through the D-Washer, ( I have 7 sets). To wash the valve and membrane, I get a cup of very hot soapy water and let it soak in that for about 15 minutes.