Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is he getting enough?

Default Is he getting enough?

DS just turned 1 yo - I'm still breastfeeding, but I'm not sure if DS is getting enough. He currently nurses before his morning and afternoon naps and again at night before bed. Should I be supplementing with whole milk or should I be pumping to give him breast milk during the day? TIA
    SAHM to DS1 (Jan. 08) and DS2 (Jan. 10)

Usually

Default Re: Is he getting enough?

As long as he's nursing 3-4 times a day, he should be getting enough.

My pedi said same as pp, nursing 3-4 times a day is enough not to need cow's milk. DD nurses in the a.m., at nap time, maybe once around 5 or 6 and at bedtime, so I don't offer her milk. But, if you do give her cow's milk in addition, I wouldn't give her too much as I've read they can fill up on so much milk, they won't eat all the solids they should. HTH.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

DS seems to be dropping his morning nap so he's only nursing before nap and before bed. Some nights he nurses during the night others he does not. Still ok with just breastmilk?
    SAHM to DS1 (Jan. 08) and DS2 (Jan. 10)

Usually

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jadesmama View Post
    My pedi said same as pp, nursing 3-4 times a day is enough not to need cow's milk.
    My 20 month old won't drink cows milk, but her ped. said that 2 servings of dairy...yogurt or cheese included... is fine even for kids who don't nurse. Also, kids sensitive to dairy do fine with other sources of calcium.
    Does your baby drink water, too? I worry about my dd getting enough to drink more than anything else!
    Last edited by @llli*mimismama; February 25th, 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: left out something
    SAHM to Mary who has been since she was born on 06-08-2007.

Married to Jim since 07-30-2005

My ped said 3x/day was enough, & when it drops to 2 I need to make sure there is another protein source. But it doesn't have to be milk or even dairy, it can be beans, meat, etc.

ETA: Does your DS get any solid protein? How much food does he eat?
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

It sounds to me like your LO is probably getting enough, but if you want to offer to nurse more it certainly wouldn't hurt, and it would be a lot easier than pumping! If you're still a little worried but don't want to nurse more frequently, you could always give some whole milk in a sippy or some whole milk yogurt, just to make absolutely sure you LO is getting enough fat and calcium. Again, it won't hurt.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"