Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with weaning!!!!

Default Help with weaning!!!!

DD will be 18 mth old on the 5th. I have been trying to wean for a month now, and it's not working. My goal was to be done BF at 18 mths. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop the process. I mean it's not like a bottle that you can just put out of sight out of mind...She really only nurses at night too to go to sleep. I work during the day...PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks!
    Wife to my childhood sweetheart Joey since 12/07/06
    Mother to my baby girl Abigail Rae Perkins born 08/05/07

Default Re: Help with weaning!!!!

That's me EXACTLY! My little girl will be 18 months old in one month today! I'm not sure how to even start weaning her. I work full-time. She drinks cow's milk at daycare. Comes home and wants to nurse from me once or twice before bedtime. And then when she wakes up around midnight and comes into our bed, she nurses practically all night long (every 1 1/2 hours or so).

I can always "hide" for awhile when I first get home, but usually I don't mind that feeding since I'm a bit engorged by the time I get home from work.

But I'm willing to do WHATEVER to get her fully weaned in one month.

Scary! And kind of makes me teary-eyed to think she'll be done BFing forever, but my main goal was 1 year. And now I've practically made it 6 more months. But I'm ready to for her to wean....
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

I wish someone could help us with this...we are in the same boat...I mean how do you wean? I'm ready to stop, but I don't want her screaming her head off! I don't want to put her through that!!!! I need a manual please!!!

I have not been through the weaning process yet, but I have read on these forums that a book called "How Weaning Happens" is supposed to be a good, short read on weaning.

HTH

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

When I was cutting out nursing sessions with my daughter I told her she could nurse while I sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and that worked well. I could sing it however many times depending on how bad she seemed to need it or slow/fast.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and the book mentioned above is good.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I wanted someone to tell me exactly how to wean with my first lo. No one was able to do that and I too was frustrated. I found the book "How Weaning Happens" to have lots of good information and things for me to think about as we went about weaning.

Some things that helped me were distractions we started reading tons of books. I would also offer an alternate drink when my lo asked to nurse. I realized they didn't know how or at least didn't think to ask for something else. They were happy to drink milk or watered down juice while sitting in my lap. Also, be sure to include a bedtime snack in your bedtime routine. This helped my lo to not need to nurse as long before going to sleep. If your dh is available you may want to get his help in cuddling with your lo. You can try nursing just until they are drowsy then letting them cuddle with dad until they fall asleep.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Hi, I hope this is going ok for you. This is such a difficult question to try and offer suggestions on, even for myself, I found that I used heaps of different techniques when weaning, there was DH to comfort at night, going through a list of all foods I could think of when DS woke up as an alternative to bf until I listed one he wanted more than a bf, explaining to him that my breasts were sore (I'm pregnant) during the day, to this he would offer to kiss them better, which also worked to calm him down if he got upset when I was putting him to bed, explaining that he couldn't bf after he'd had his teeth brushed etc. You just need to keep on trying different things until you find what works for you.

I agree it can be very daunting to start with, but in hindsight it went pretty smoothly for us, and incredible though it may seem now, you will get there, and while there are likely to be tears, it shouldn't have to get too bad. Make sure you allow time for it to happen, we took about 5 weeks all up, a 2 week break after night time weaning, another 2 week break after snack weaning, and then the structured feeds at a rate of 1 every 2 days.

Good luck.

op if your just nursing to sleep at bedtime
    sometimes you can have a helper put them to bed with a story or snack and songs.

Sometimes it's just easier to nurse to sleep.

It can take kids ages to wind down with out nursing if that is what they are used to.

Do you have somebody that could help you with bed time?

I am in exactly the same position. I love holding her in the mornings and at night-night time, but I am burnt out on the nursing. She is 16.5 mos old.
    Olive Eloise Freeman, born Oct. 19, 2007.
    Still BF at 19 mos. and counting . . .

My husband could help me, but I know she will just scream and cry until she gets me and "milk." I'm going to try ALL of the techniques that all you gals gave me and I'm going to read the book...Thanks for all of your suggestions! I really appreciate it! I will keep you posted! I'm sad and happy at the same time! I'm thinking I want to get pregnant again, so I want to get this out of the way first! Thanks so much everyone!!!!