Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doctor basically tortured LO in surgery today

Default Doctor basically tortured LO in surgery today

DD had a frenuloplasty this morning for tongue-tie.

At her 2 month check up I asked the ped to look at her tongue as it was dented up in the middle and didn't cup or lift well and I thought she might be tied. It looked just like DD #2's tongue (she was tied but able to figure latching out after a week or so). She was still having issues latching, was clicking when my milk letdown, not efficient at sucking once the flow of milk slowed down, failed to grow adequately after three weeks when milk supply became supply and demand, basically every sign of tongue-tie except that her frenulum was not attached at the front. The ped says no her tongue is great, look how it comes past the gumline. I left the office feeling dumb. I was SURE I was right.

I consulted an LC who told me that peds don't always know about the diff types of tongue-tie and gave me referrals of ENTs. I took LO to an ENT and sure enough, she had type 4 tongue-tie way in the back with limited movement when she lifted. It required a frenuloplasty under general anesthesia with a suture, not just a simple clip. He wasn't super clear with me on the procedure being more than just a simple clip.

So this morning we take her. Not impressed with the way that this went. We asked about pain relief and we were told that she would have a Tylenol suppository and she should be good to go when she wakes up. I thought they would do the suppository and wait for it to take effect because they said the procedure would be 20 minutes total (only a couple to clip though). They whisk her away and come back five minutes later and tell us that she is done and awake. When we get back there she is screaming so pitifully. Come to find out, they didn't give her ANY pain meds. They didn't even numb her tongue with benzocaine so that when she woke up it would be completely numb underneath. I have to wonder if they even put her under, you know? It was heartwrenching. I can't imagine the pain she was in.

She screamed even after getting Tylenol until she passed out. I was able to get her to nurse while sleeping and she didn't click when my milk let down. At least it seems that the surgery was a success in that regard. When she woke up she started screaming again and we are staggering Tylenol and ibuprofen and using a benzocaine gel. She calmed down once her mouth was numb and the IB took effect. She is finally taking another nap.

I feel like I let her down by not being prepared or being a good advocate. I mean DD #2 had surgery over the summer at UCLA Medical Center and it was seamless; her pain was managed as well as possible and that was a more complex procedure. I thought I had the bases covered here but I feel horrible that I didn't insist on a numbing agent for her tongue. You just always hear how easy it is to remedy tongue-tie and I guess I didn't appreciate that her procedure was more than a simple clip. Poor baby.

Default Re: Doctor basically tortured LO in surgery today

That sounds awful for all of you. You did what you could. I know it's hard to not feel bad. But try not to. 's again.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

OMG, the poor little thing! I am so sorry to hear about this! I hope she is feeling better SOON! Don't beat yourself up, mama! It's certainly not your fault!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

I'm so sorry you and your family had to go through this! It's not your fault...don't feel guilty. There was no way you could have known that this would happen. I hope your DD feels better soon.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I'm so sorry she (and you) have to deal with this! Poor baby! I would def. ask some follow up questions as to whether or not general was used. Can you speak with the anastesioligist (sp?)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you all for the support! If nothing else, I hope this might help someone else in this type of situation.

Yeah the anesthesiologist, surgeon, & a nurse were the ones I spoke to prior to surgery about the pain meds. I spoke to the anes. last night too & he seemed like he knew what was what then. He asked if she is BF and offered that she could nurse up to 3 hours prior. That's why I don't get what happened. I'm sure they did the general anes. if for no other reason than to keep from dealing with a flailing baby.

The post op nurse (diff from the op nurse) was really worried about the screaming and tracked down the med situation & then chewed out both the doctor & anes. & then I did. And I've spoken directly with the doctor since. He kept apologizing and saying her pain response was atypical even for not having pain meds. She is still crying a lot when she's not sleeping.

I'm sorry but how would anyone react to having their frenulum cut far back & sewn without pain meds? The lesson here is to be extra vigilant from the outset.
    Last edited by @llli*speedy.marie; February 3rd, 2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Not sure sewed is proper so changed. Had a random b at the end.

It really seems like the system failed your LO today. Multiple people (surgeon, anesthetist, nurse) had to make errors and those added up to your LO not getting proper pain meds. I would encourage you to discuss the issue with the hospital, in addition to the individual providers. It won't help your LO, but maybe it'll prevent another child from going through what yours did. Small solace, I know, but atleast it's something.

How truly awful for you and your LO. I can't believe they didn't numb her tongue or give her pain meds, especially as you asked about it ahead of time. You definately should follow up with someone higher-up so your doctor is accountable. It is NOT your fault, so don't blame yourself, it is perfectly reasonable that you would trust your doctor. I always thought a tongue-clip was a simple quick procedure, I didn't realize stitches were involved?? My friend's midwife clipped her baby's tongue in 1 second at the hospital. They really should have explained in detail ahead of time what the procedure was.

I'm glad though that at least its done now and the nursing will get better.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    How truly awful for you and your LO. I can't believe they didn't numb her tongue or give her pain meds, especially as you asked about it ahead of time. You definately should follow up with someone higher-up so your doctor is accountable. It is NOT your fault, so don't blame yourself, it is perfectly reasonable that you would trust your doctor. I always thought a tongue-clip was a simple quick procedure, I didn't realize stitches were involved?? My friend's midwife clipped her baby's tongue in 1 second at the hospital. They really should have explained in detail ahead of time what the procedure was.

I'm glad though that at least its done now and the nursing will get better.
    I'll be sure to follow up with this; thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'll be sure to let the LC who referred me know too.

You're right; usually there are no sutures involved. I knew the general anesthesia was because she is old enough to thrash about.

Luckily the tongue heals fast and LO has been happy since last night at bedtime. I'm keeping the meds going a bit longer. She has been nursing nonstop for about 18 hours and my nipples feel much better! I am leaking tons of milk. I haven't leaked so much in a very long time. Not sure what that means. Supply up so quick?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*speedy.marie View Post
    I'll be sure to follow up with this; thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'll be sure to let the LC who referred me know too.

You're right; usually there are no sutures involved. I knew the general anesthesia was because she is old enough to thrash about.

Luckily the tongue heals fast and LO has been happy since last night at bedtime. I'm keeping the meds going a bit longer. She has been nursing nonstop for about 18 hours and my nipples feel much better! I am leaking tons of milk. I haven't leaked so much in a very long time. Not sure what that means. Supply up so quick?
    I am so glad she's feeling better. Babies are miraculous in their healing abilities, and I'm glad she's eating well. Hugs all around!