Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lack of pooey nappies

Default Lack of pooey nappies

Hi all - Not sure if this is the right place to post this?......

My 15 week old daughter is exclusively breastfed. And is gaining weight at a good steady rate. Over the last couple of weeks there have been days where she has not had a poo and other days where there is less poo.

My Health visitor said this was fine and that she is using all of my milk and therefore no waste. Is this right?

Default Re: Lack of pooey nappies

Yup, it's totally normal for exclusively breastfed babies to go several days without pooping. Your health visitor is exactly right about breast milk being so well digested that there is sometimes little waste.

I was concerned that my daughter hadn't pooped for about 4 days and called her doctor who said that they didn't even get concerned until it had been well over 7 days. Watch out, though, sometimes when they go that long there is a big blowout when it finally does come!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you

Hi, there.

Great question. It can seem like there's a problem when exclusively breastfed babies don't have bowel movements every day. Luckily, this can be quite normal. After the 6 week point, most babies' bowel movements can become fewer... going up to 14 days for some! As the previous poster mentioned, these babies can have messy "explosions." But, as long as baby's getting plenty of wet diapers and is generally in a happy mood, then all should be alright. If you're ever in doubt, a call to your ped is always positive.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader