Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping for long stretches

Default sleeping for long stretches

I have a 6 week old that is starting to sleep 6 hours at night sometimes. I am not concerned about her getting enough to eat, she gives us enough wet and poopy diapers but what about my milk supply. She typically eats every 3-4 hours otherwise, should I be getting up to pump at night?

Default Re: sleeping for long stretches

Don't worry: you don't need to get up to pump. Your body will quickly figure out how to make the right amount of milk for a given time of day, making less at night and more during the daytime. Don't be surprised if your baby starts to feed more frequently during the daylight hours, though- it's probably her way of tanking up on calories to sustain her through the night. Try to aim for at least 8 feedings in a 24-hour period.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wouldn't worry about pumping at night unless you either need the milk to build a stash or if you are getting uncomfortably engorged. Your supply should regulate so that it is available when baby wants it, meaning you'll produce more milk during baby's usual feeding times and less during times when baby doesn't nurse (like at night). Then when a growth spurt comes along and baby starts waking to nurse more at night it will build your supply back up as needed.

If you start to notice a drop in supply during the day you might want to add in a pumping session to keep things up, but you are probably getting to the point where going longer stretches at night won't affect your day-time supply.

Oh! Another concern might be if you are planning to go back to work or something. In that case you might want to keep your supply up at night in preparation for baby wanting to nurse more at night once you are gone during the day.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You know my little guy did this too. I would wake him b/c i was paranoid it would affect my supply. He is almost 3 months old now and I am finally relaxing enough and just going with the flow. I think I made him make his schedule according to me waking him b/c now he pretty much always eats at 7:30pm, 1:30am, & 5:30am. Oh well though I don't mind getting up at night.
    I was so bad I set my alarm on my cell so I wouldn't sleep too long! You do what you feel comfortable with. At 6wks, he/shee will wake if they are hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*harvsgirls View Post
    I have a 6 week old that is starting to sleep 6 hours at night sometimes. I am not concerned about her getting enough to eat, she gives us enough wet and poopy diapers but what about my milk supply. She typically eats every 3-4 hours otherwise, should I be getting up to pump at night?

Hi, there.

Congrats on your new little baby! At about this age, many babies will sleep a little longer at night and many mothers have asked this question... it's a great question, too.

Generally, if the full-term, healthy baby is gaining weight well and has plenty of wet and poopie diapers, like you mentioned, then allowing baby to continue nursing on-cue is fine for both mom and baby. There are so many little growth spurts during the first year of life that their sleeping patterns change all the time... Her 6-week growth spurt may be coming up?? Allowing baby to nurse on-cue will help establish your exact milk supply, too.

Hope this helps!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thank you, ladies for all your help. I appreciate it!
    Stacy