Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any prob?

Default any prob?

Hello, this's my 2nd post. Long story short, me and my son didn't get a good start BFing. 1st, he couldn't latch on and I had to supplement formula beside pumping. Then he was coming onto my breasts except giving me the worst pain ever. When he was about a month old things started to turn around. He was latching on a okay and I was having less pain.

Baby was born 6lb 6oz, now he is 58 days old. He was weighted at 10lb 2oz when he was 50 days old. My question is that he used to take both of my breast, about 10 min each. When he was about 5 wks old, I though he was going thru a growth spurt where he wanted to feed every hour. That's when he started to take only one breast at a time. Now I'm nursing every 3 hrs trun the nite and during the day, he wants to be fed every 1 1/2 hrs to 3 hrs. With every feeding session of about 10 min on 1 breast. These past few days, he only wants to stay on like 5 to 7 min. He would fuss and cry if I offer him the 2nd breast. I have always worry about my supply, I'm concern that maybe I'm not producing enough milk for my son. I know ppl say don't time how long baby nurse, but I can't help to worry. I also notice that sometime he would pull and trun on my breast. Is there something worng?

Default Re: any prob?

What is his diaper output? As long as he is having 6-8 wet diapers in a 24 hours period and gaining weight then he is getting enough to eat. He'll get more efficient at nursing the older he gets so he won't have to nurse as long. From what you described everything sounds fine to me, is it just the fequency and time of his nursings worrying you, or are there other concerns too?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Well he gets at least 6 soiled diapers per day beside lots of wet ones.

I worry the length of time that he nurse, he had nursed for as short as 4 min and my breast seems not empty yet.

Also, if he only feed on one side at a time. Will my supply go down?

Oh, and what about the pulling and turning his head on my breast? I always scare myself of not having enough milk for him.

He has a bad case of cradle cap, I'm not sure how much this is bothering him. Just now I treated him with baby oil, don't know if this will help.

My understanding is that they don't even feel cradle cap. DD has a pretty bad case that is starting to go away, she is almost 5 months old.

So 58 days is almost 2 months old right? Most babies have a 6 week growth spurt where they nurse more, it could be that he is just coming off of one so his nursing is decreasing. Here is a good link for fussiness at the breast.

I personally don't have a lot of experince with this, sorry I'm not more help. Hopefully the link will help or someone will come along with more info

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Hi, Mamma.

It sounds like you're concerned about your baby's breastmilk intake which is so understandable... the crying you described can make any mom a little uneasy. Hang in there... I'm sure you all can get through this obstacle.

I agree with the previous posters in that he may be in his 6-week growth spurt and to continue counting those wet and poopie diapers... You mentioned a good amount of these, too. His weight/growth sound good, too.

If baby wants to nurse again within the next hour or two, you might want to offer the same breast that you just nursed on... this way, you can be sure that breast is being "drained" well and your supply and demand will keep up. After the one month point, draining the breast well is important when it comes to supply and demand.

Sometimes, babies will stop nursing because they need to burp often. Could this be possible? Have you by chance tried burping him and then offering the same breast?

Most exclusively breastfed newborns need to nurse on average 8-12 times in 24 hours in order to get enough milk. Since day to day routines can easily change, nursing on-cue is usually the easiest and best thing for both mom and baby. So, if your baby has a good latch, is gaining weight & has plenty of wet diapers (6-8 cloth diapers and 5-6 disposable diapers), it's typically ideal to "watch the baby and not the clock," in most situations. You are the expert on your baby. Nursing patterns are as unique as are babies.

With most mothers, if baby is nursed on-cue and not given any supplements (or mom pumps if any bottles are given, about one 15-minute pumping session for each missed feeding, etc.), they usually will continue to have a good milk supply... Supply & Demand.

About pulling his head when nursing... this sounds like it's probably just the normal "rooting" reflex a baby might have or, sometimes, it might mean that mother's holding baby's neck/head and baby feels uncomfortable. Could these be possibilities with you?
    Carla
    LLL Leader

You are right that I hold his head and neck when I feed. Maybe he really is not comfortable in that possition. I'll try to cradle hold him next time.

It's not easy to burp my baby. Say I can only get a burp 20% of the time. He had a couple of forceful vomits few days ago. I changed the position of burping and haven't got that projectile vormit for 2 days now.

The cradle hold might help.... try different positions out.

Try to keep baby upright for about 20-30 minutes after a feeding, too. This may help with the spit up. Sometimes wearing baby in a carrier of some sort makes it easier on mom.

Was the spit up more than a couple of tablespoons? Sometime, a mom will put a couple of tablespoons of water on the table to "see" what this looks like.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

It was in fact more than 2 tablespoons 1 time. Milk was gushing out from his nostrials and mouth at the same time. It happened in the morning feeding which I did not burp him at the nite feedings.

Carla
    LLL Leader