Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice about taking prescription meds

Exclamation Advice about taking prescription meds

I'm wondering if I need to start prescription meds to increase my milk. I really want to keep nursing but I can't pump at work and my supply is dropping. I have tried most of the "natural" ideas (fenugreek, blessed thistle, water, healthy eating, more sleep, etc.) and those things don't seem to be working. Can you all give me some info. about the meds, especially if you are using them? When is it a good idea to take it? Are there any side effects? Does it help most women? Thanks for your help!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Advice about taking prescription meds

I'm on Domperidome (90mgs a day, 3pills 3X) and have been for two weeks and have noticed a dramatic change in my supply with no side effects. Reglan is another medication but it was not offered to me due to its numerous side effects along with the possibility of depression, but i have no experience with it and know it works for many women.

I think the best time to start any kind of medication is when you've exhausted all other options.

Also you dont have to stop the fenugreek or other herbs when your on the domperidone. If you are in the united states it is not FDA approved for breastfeeding mothers and can be difficult to acquire.

good luck!
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

What doses of the herbs were you taking? Reglan DID increase my supply but it also made me very depressed. I took it for a few months while slowing weaning off of it. I am now on only herbs and my supply is doing great, I have finally recovered from a huge supply crash about 5 months ago. I am taking 3 caps of fenugreek 3x per day and 3 caps of blessed thistle 3x per day.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I'm taking fenugreek and blessed thistle also. I think I need to up my dose. I take 2 of each 3x a day. also try to put fennel into my diet and TONS of water and protein. My biggest challenge is that I can't really pump regularly at work (8 hour day) and my lo sleeps from 9-3 a.m. without nursing. I am so tired that i can't physically get up to pump during the night - and my body doesn't respond to the pump anymore anyway.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

I'm also taking domperidone... I haven't noticed a change in supply yet (but I've been bad about taking it regular too). I just increased my dose from 60mg to 90mg. The only side effect I have noticed is headaches. I don't get them all the time either but it's a side effect I will deal with if it increases my supply so that I don't need to supplement with formula.

I'm also drinking mother's milk tea and taking an herbal tonic for lactation. I will be adding in more milk plus as well. Once I wean from the domperidone, I'll continue with the more milk plus, herbal tonic and MM tea.

What is in the herbal tonic and where did you get it?

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months