Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice about taking medicine to increase supply

Exclamation Advice about taking medicine to increase supply

I'm going to post this in increasing your milk, but I'd like a quick reply. I'm looking for information about medicine to increase my supply (prescription, I mean). I have done most of the "natural" things suggested (including fenugreek, etc.) and am wondering when it is necessary to use medicine, if it is successful for most women, if there are any side effects, and what you all think about using it. Please send me any thoughts you have! Thanks

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Advice about taking medicine to increase supply

Here is a link you could check out.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hi, there.

Great question! This is a pretty common question, too. Why do you feel you need to increase your supply? Is baby having some problems with weight gain? How many wet and poopie diapers in a day?
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Lo is 7 mo. and still EBF. She is refusing any solids. I work full time and can't really pump during the day (I hand express 4-6 oz. during the beginning of the week and less near the end at irregular times). LO almost sleeps through the night, so my supply has lowered quite a bit. My body doesn't respond to the pj pump anymore and I have very little desire to get up and express during the night. I already feel tired all the time. lo lost a few oz. b/c she was sick - and I'd love for her to gain it all back. Her wet and poopies are fine - even when she's home with me over the weekend. I'm researching in case I feel the need to use meds. What do you think?

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Going back to work for a mom is usually both emotionally and physically difficult. For most moms, once they overcome the initial challenges, everything comes together a bit easier for them as the days go by.

Pumping is an art and sometimes there can be a learning curve. Many moms find it easier if they practice pumping a few days or even a week before going back to work, just to get the hang of it. Stimulating the let-down reflex is most important to effectively expressing milk... this can be just as much psychological as it can be physical. Relaxing, thinking of baby and adding some massage while pumping (stimulating reflex let-down) can be helpful. Whatever works best for you. Every woman is different.

You mentioned hand expressing... Have you seen this video?

Double pumping (or nursing while you pump) can be more effective because it helps with mom's let-down. If you find that you need more milk (because of a growth spurt, etc.), adding a pumping session to your daily routine will probably do the trick until your supply evens out (a few days or so).

Nursing on-cue as much as possible when you're not working will
    probably be the best & easiest way to keep up your supply. Many working moms nurse on-cue (whenever baby needs, etc.) as much as possible when mamma's not at work (evenings, weekends, etc.)... Night nursing is a great way to keep up your supply. This will help keep the supply & demand ratio balanced... also helps with growth spurts... Plus, it's so much easier to just nurse whenever possible... no bottles to clean. :O)

Try pumping for 10-15 minutes & then for a couple of minutes after
    the "last" drop, if you find you need more milk.

A couple of great resources are:

** "Nursing Mother, Working Mother"
    (http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb98p27.html)

** "How Can I Make My Return To Work Easier?"
    http://llli.org/FAQ/returnwo rk.html

** Pumping (Check out the new guidelines for storing milk)
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBpumping.html

** "Encouraging Nursing is Good Business. Here's how to convince your
    boss."
    http://llli.org/Law/LawEmployment.html

Considering that a small baby will usually take about 2-4 ounces of
    milk at a feeding, if you're able to store your ebm in these amounts, this might help with waste. If your baby needs a little more, the sitter can just warm up a small amount to hold baby over until you arrive. (Nurse when you drop off and pick up... less bottles.)

A good electric pump with a cooler is really helpful, too. What kind
    do you have?

Many working moms find that forming a good seal with the pump's
    flange
    by wetting your skin with water or breastmilk helps with the amount they pump. Also, be sure to center the flange without touching your nipple/areola.

I remember just rinsing out the pump parts when I was at work and
    them washing & sterilizing them (those little sterilizing bags are
    great!) at home... saved me time.

If things are tough, try communicating with your employer. Maybe a
    change in schedules can help, if needed, once you get your feet wet
    with work again. Nothing's rarely set in stone, either. Some find
    that after going back to work that working only part-time or from
    home works out better for everyone. Listen to your mommy instincts,
    too. :O)

If your baby was taking solids fine before you returned to work, then she might just be trying to adjust. Keep offering familiar foods with each meal for a while... may be helpful.

Have you tried the Working or Pumping forums to get some more responses?

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

I agree with all the pp's responses...but if you do look at medicine, here are my thoughts...

I am currently taking Reglan, and have for about 4 months now. It has really helped my supply, but there are side effects. 2 mainly. The first one that REALLY effects me is that it can make you drowsy. Some days are better than others, but there have literally been times, where I have almost fallen asleep at my desk or in meetings. When I feel it coming on, I start to get up and get moving to try to avoid it. I have also heard fish oil pills help, but haven't tried that. The other side effect that they talk about is that it can cause depression. If you have history of depression you should not take it. I have noticed a few times, that I have felt more blue than others, but this one hasn't really effected me too much, since I know what to look for and can try to pep myself out of it.

There is another common prescription, begins with a d, i think its like dopermine or something close to that. There are some mommas on here that use that. There was a post, not too long ago regarding that specific one too, i believe.

Way to go for doing all that you can for your LO. I tried all the natural things too, and nothing worked for me as well, so good for you for hanging in there!!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

Thanks for all the advice. I don't think pumping at work or home is really an option. At a certain point, my body hasn't responded to the pump. But night nursing and more nursing has worked...I'm hoping the herbs will kick in.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I don't think pumping at work or home is really an option. At a certain point, my body hasn't responded to the pump. But night nursing and more nursing has worked...I'm hoping the herbs will kick in.
    So if you aren't pumping are you supplementing with formula during the day? How often is LO nursing?

I think I read fenugreek helps if the breasts are emptied. I took it when trying to increase my supply and it seemed to work well. I also pumped a lot and I think maybe I went overboard because DD started having frothy green poops. Yuck.

Hello...

Just wanted to pipe in with a disclaimer...

Whichever route you do choose, good communication with your doctor is important.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

LLLCarla, do you mean I should communicate with my doctor about the prescription meds? I just feel confused about what you meant.

To speedy.marie,
    LO is 7 mo. I hand express at work and usually get enough for one bottle (sometimes she takes one bottle, sometimes two). I had a HUGE oversupply at the beginning (funny, now that I'm dealing with less milk) and I froze so much milk that it filled our freezer! I use that to supplement if I can't hand express enough for her during the day. She nurses once before I drop her off at work, usually 3 times at home, and always at least once during the night (5-6 times). Of course I feed her on demand over the weekends.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months