Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block Nursing vs. Switch Nursing - Why?

Default Block Nursing vs. Switch Nursing - Why?

Why do some people block nurse (use same side for a few horus) instead of switch nurse (switch sides during every feeding).

My DS generally eats of one side then when he is done with that side or showing very little interest or just sucking for suck purposes, then I will switch sides. I am not sure why some will just use one side for a few hours. What are the benefits or desirability of this?

Default Re: Block Nursing vs. Switch Nursing - Why?

heres a good link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Oct95p69a.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

if your baby is gassy or fussy block feeding can help sometimes.

Block feeding is useful when a mother has an oversupply of milk. Staying on one breast for "x" amount of time or "x" amount of feeds can help to down regulate mother's production.

Unless oversupply is a concern, it is best to feed via baby's cues. Some babies take both breasts at a feeding, some only one. Most mothers tend to feed on the side that received the least use from the prior feed.

I don't have an oversupply - it was just suggested to maybe start block feeding b/c of how distractable my DS is and how he sometimes will only nurse for a few minutes on each side. But then again, he might just be more effiecient now at 4.5 mos. I definitely don't want to do anything that might hurt my supply.

Is it okay to switch what you do? Sometimes nurse from both sides in a feeding and sometimes just from one side. Sometimes DS will take both. Sometimes just one side. And then if he is nursing to sleep it is always almost just one side of nursing. Is all this okay?

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My dd has always been a switch nurser. At 5 months, she eats for a few minutes on one side, lets go and cannot be coaxed into eating on that same side, so I switch her to the other side and she digs in again. She lets go after a few minutes on that side. If she's still hungry, I can switch her back to the other side, which has now apparently dried and reshaped itself to her satisfaction and she'll eat for a few more minutes over there. Occasionally she'll want the second breast a second time, but the 3-fer is her usual pattern.

She has been doing this since her early days of nursing, but back then she would switch back and forth at least 2 times on each side, sometimes three.

Is this a normal behavior?

(too late now if it's not, but I was just wondering )

I always start my DS off on my left side (its so small and feels like its going to dry up soon) and let him nurse as long as I can get him to go. He definitely prefers my right side, and if I nurse him on the right first, he will not take the left side.

So in an effort to keep my left one still making milk, I always start him on the left side...even if he only nurses there for a few minutes. What's "normal" anyways? We just do what we can to make sure our babies are fed and happy. Also, ds won't comfort nurse on the left side, but could camp out on the right side all day long if I let him. Go figure. As soon as I get him figured out, it all changes again.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!