Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it all gone?

Unhappy Is it all gone?

Hi

I've only been back at work for 2 weeks, after spending 4 months at home with my baby. He's been breastfed exclusively. I had supply issues few days after coming back to work, not getting the amount i usually get when i express (atleast 4.5oz). I pumped every 4hrs or so at work before this. Over the weekends, i let him drink as much n as often n as long as he likes.. hoping to increase production.

However, i just came back from expressing (3hrs after i last fed him) and could just squeezed out 0.5oz. What's happening? Is this the end of our exclusive breastfeeding journey? This is really breaking me. If I were to supplement with formula, will i still produce enough to feed him at night and on weekends?

HELP!

Default Re: Is it all gone?

Don't panic!!! It's really unlikely you've gone from a full supply to nothing over the weekend - especially since you were nursing on demand the whole time!

My guess is that you just had a bad session - either you didn't get a good seal, or your pump could be malfunctioning, or an off session for some other reason.

Even stress- when I am stressing about how much I'm going to produce, I produce less...
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

sounds like we've all been there... dry pumping feels like such a waste of time. i try to wait for at least that one letdown... and it can happen as late as 18 minutes!

i also have problems whenever i pump in a new environment... so having some pictures to focus on baby helps me out...

try to relax and continue with your pumping schedule... it takes a while for your body to adjust to coming back to work.
    Jessie
    Mom to Antonio born 9/10/2008
    at work and at home

Yes - like the PP said. Try to wait for that first let down. I was pumping in a different environment today and it took me almost 10 minutes to get let down. It was very frustrating - but hang in there.

We are all here to help.

Thank you so much for all the advice and support

I was unusually stressed out that morning before pumping. I waited a little bit more n changed the teat on my pump. It helped and i got a good amount. Trying a new schedule today, and the amount was a little bit disappointing. Not even 4oz! But i'm staying positive. Due to my job, i can't pump every 2 hours as i'd like to.. especially now, with meetings on most time.

My boy eats every 4hrs but i'm trying out pumping every 3hrs. I will not get 4.5-5oz i usually do if i were to wait 4hrs or so right?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aishah View Post
    My boy eats every 4hrs but i'm trying out pumping every 3hrs. I will not get 4.5-5oz i usually do if i were to wait 4hrs or so right?

No, the more often you pump, the more your body will produce.

, mama - it does get easier (at least it did for me)!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png