Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is Almonds OK?

Default Is Almonds OK?

Is it OK to give almonds to 6 months old? Has anybody given to their LOs?

Default Re: Is Almonds OK?

I think this would present both a choking hazard and an allergy risk.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Nuts have a very high allergy risk!!! I'd wait.

I was thinking of making a paste to avoid choking but yes you guys have point for allergy. So after 1 year?

I'm pretty sure that nuts should wait until after 2 years. Be extra careful if there is any history of allergies in your family. I was trying to find the source of the 2-year mark but I can't right now. However, recent statistics show that about 1 in 50 kids is allergic to nuts, and nut allergies can be fatal. Dr. Greene's website has some more information about allergies in children:
    http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=...60&action=list

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Yes you are right mollyb. I should wait for a while.

I was really excited to give her almonds as in our family everybody has almonds with milk every morning. But this can wait.

Yes def wait, any kind of nuts are a HUGE allergen, the gut is so porous that if you give too many allergenic foods before they are ready they can pass through the gut and hence cause an allergy. Probably no nuts for 2-3 years...

Yup. Almonds count as tree nuts. At least age 2 on those......for allergy reasons. If you have a family history of food allergies (and not just nut allergies, but ANY food alllergies) it's more like 3 years....
    -linda

Thanks all of you guys, you really gave me insight on this one.

You're welcome!

Molly