Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She bit me, now what?

Default She bit me, now what?

Hello Everyone!
    After a very long break from the computer I am back. I am so glad to be back on this site, I love it!
    Anyway, the other night my lo(20mo old) was nursing in bed with me and in the twilight of sleep bit me. Ouch!!! She drew a little blood and now I have a lovely scrape on my right breast, which is the one she prefers. How can I continue to bf without all the pain? I need to fix this fast b/c it really hurts when she latches.TIA
    Christina mama to
    Elizabeth (12)
    Rebekah (9)
    and Rachel Grace (born 5/8/07)

We are a clan!
    http://themurrays5.blogspot.com

Default Re: She bit me, now what?

When that happens to us, I use a lot of lanolin and then a small amount of neosporin w/ pain relief. You don't have to wipe it off, they can nurse right over it. And keep yourself on ibprofin or tylenol until it heals. Also squirt some milk over it and let it air dry, that also speeds the healing. You will have to deal with it for about a week until it's gone, and usually about 3 days of the pain.

It does hurt momma.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks so much for the reply. I have been a little worried. I tried a shield today and she won't have any of it. She refuses to nurse with it period. I am glad to know that it will heal w/o one. I have been using Lansinoh between nursing sessions. I will add the other things you mentioned to manage the pain when she nurses.
    Christina mama to
    Elizabeth (12)
    Rebekah (9)
    and Rachel Grace (born 5/8/07)

We are a clan!
    http://themurrays5.blogspot.com

Yikes, sorry to hear your toddler bit you. An additional idea is to try different positions. Her chin area does more of the sucking, so it's possible that putting her chin away from the wound may help. Other than that, moist healing as mentioned should help with a little time.

I wonder if you can figure out why she bit. Is she working on a molar or anything different?
    Sue
    LLL Leader

I second the PP, along with the lanolin also try different nursing positions so that some of the pressure is away from the sore. I have been bit and I have also gotten lots of sores from tooth scrapes. not fun!