Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Weaning at 28 months

Default Help! Weaning at 28 months

Hi! My 28 month dd has been down to nursing just at night. (Usually,only to fall asleep and then again around 5 or 6) She falls asleep for naps with a sibling rocking her, or just laying still with me sitting next to her.

We co-sleep and that is really what is motivating the weaning. We want to get her upstairs with her sisters. I think she is excited about sleeping with them tonight, but she doesn't realize that Mommy is not planning on nursing her whenever she wakes.

So, what should I do when she wakes up? Should we go through a period of me going up to nurse her when she wakes at night and just hope that it dies down, since I am not lying next to her? Or, should I just stay away at night. My 13 y/o is willing to help, but she is such a sound sleeper and probably going to be of no use in the middle of the night. And I don't want to ask dh to get up at night because he works.

Thanks for any input from those who have weaned past 2! My other three were so easily weaned but were much younger.

Default Re: Help! Weaning at 28 months

I haven't weaned but I wanted to let you know IME not sleeping in the same space really really helps with the night weaning. my son started STTN at 31 months and me not being in the same bed with him really really helped! It's very possible that just being away from you at this age will help it to happen!
    Good luck!
    Let us know how it goes!

Way too lazy for formula

What's STTN?

Last night was a "no go". I was out most of the eve and when I got home, dd was tired and clingy and wanted to sleep with me. I was actually glad. Tonight, my 13 y/o dd rocked her to sleep and put her to bed upstairs. Now, I am just wondering how the night will go. I started to go to bed, but it is so strange without her there.
    Nancy
    Mom to Jessie Kate 3 years, Emily 11 years, Megan 14 years, and Nicholas 16 years

Due 7/28/10

STTN= Sleeping Thru the Night.

They smell the milk. So often if it isn't there they don't wake for it.

Way too lazy for formula

Yeah, , I wrote that last night and then when I finally went to bed, it hit me what STTN was.

She woke at about 1:30 and I layed down next to her in her bed, and she went right to sleep. I was shocked. She woke up early around 6 wanting milk, so I nursed her and told her that if it's dark, then mommy won't nurse her, but if there is sunlight, I will come up and nurse her. She said okay, like she was fine with it, but... time will tell.

Thanks!
    Nancy
    Mom to Jessie Kate 3 years, Emily 11 years, Megan 14 years, and Nicholas 16 years

Due 7/28/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    STTN= Sleeping Thru the Night.

They smell the milk. So often if it isn't there they don't wake for it.

Yep. Once DS was in his own bed/room he stopped getting up. It helps a LOT with the weaning process.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09