Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lacking confidence

Default lacking confidence

My 3.5 month lo has started doing shorter feeds in last month or so. She used to feed up to 40 mins every 2.5 to 3 hours. Now she feeds for up to 10 mins, one side only and can be as little as 6 mins. With such a big change I lost confidence and now feed her before naps too, say hour to hour and half after first feed. A couple of weeks ago she had slightly lower weight gain, 7 oz over 2 weeks-which probably made me worry and start feeding more though she usually stays around 50-75th percentile. So here are my questions

Is there a problem with feeding so often, every hour or hour half in morning, usually a bit longer in afternoon, 2 or 3 hrs?

I think i confuse hungry and tired signs so often feed to sleep, is this a problem?

I'm getting confused with which breast to give as used to give one full and bit of second, then start on that at next feed. Now she just takes one, do I switch next time even after short gap and short feed?

So, so grateful for any advice. I love being able to feed my baby and don't want to spend my time worrying!!

Default Re: lacking confidence

It sounds like you're doing a great job mama!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amt View Post
    Is there a problem with feeding so often, every hour or hour half in morning, usually a bit longer in afternoon, 2 or 3 hrs?
    not a problem at all Do what works for mom and baby.

I think i confuse hungry and tired signs so often feed to sleep, is this a problem?
    nursing to sleep is not a problem. lots of babies are nursed down and up from naps

Here is a link with some good info on hunger cues There are also some great links on the bottom of that page.

I'm getting confused with which breast to give as used to give one full and bit of second, then start on that at next feed. Now she just takes one, do I switch next time even after short gap and short feed?
    It's different for everyone. My ds has always only nursed on one side per nursing session. I start with the "new" breast if he emptied the other breast the last time, or if it has been more than 1.5 hours. You'll figure out what works for you
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: lacking confidence

First of all, let me say that it sounds like you're doing a great job. So RELAX!! As they get older they get a lot better at emptying the breast more quickly and efficiently, so it's totally normal for their feeding time to get shorter. My daughter went from 20 minutes on each side to about 5 minutes on each side, seemingly overnight! It freaked me out at the time too, but it's normal, so don't worry. It's also normal for their weight gain to start to slow down as they get older, so don't be concerned about that either. It sounds like you have a nice healthy sized baby on your hands. It can be normal, too for them to drop a bit in percentile as they become mobile so if that happens in the next few months as baby starts crawling, etc, don't be too concerned about that either.

As for frequency of nursing, I wouldn't worry about overfeeding her. If she doesn't want it she will defintely let you know. If you offer and she takes it, then she probably wants it. If you think she didn't empty the breast at her last nursing I'd offer the same breast again. If it felt pretty soft and empty after she nursed, then offer the other breast. And don't worry too much about it because it really does even out in the end most of the time and unless you are noticing signs of foremilk-hindmilk imbalance or dropping supply then you are probably doing just fine.

It's hard not to worry at first when you aren't sure if you're doing things right. But it sounds like you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous