Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If your baby is exclusively breastfed...

Default If your baby is exclusively breastfed...

how do you deal with those times when your supply dips or when there is a nursing strike and they wont take a bottle/sippy cup/straw or anything else ?

Default Re: If your baby is exclusively breastfed...

"exclusively breastfed" as in no solids or other liquids? I've never heard of a baby that young having a nursing strike. 9 months is a common time for a nursing strike, but usually baby is eating some solids then and is able to drink expressed milk from a sippy. As for supply dipping, usually if there isn't enough for baby to drink (ie, not enough wets diapers) supplementation is needed (either from stored frozen expressed breast milk, a milk bank, or formula)
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

my bad. I should have said "no liquid supplementation". We started bby 9 months old on solids at 8 months, with oatmeal.
    She really is driving me nuts and my supply is getting very bad. Even with milk in there she does not wait for second letdown, I am wondering if this could be considered a nursing strike ...
    Her pee is extremely smelly, doc says its because she is getting less liquid "give her formula". I even tried to. Wont have any of it.
    I weighed her pee- and after all my efforts to increase milk supply its about 16 oz a day.

16 oz of urine seems fine for output. There should be 5-6 wet diapers per day. A wet diaper equals about 4-6 tablespoons. 16 ounces is 32 tablespoons. Divide that into 6 diapers is a little over 5 tablespoons per diaper. Sounds good

16 ounces of pee does not mean that she is only getting 16 ounces of breastmilk.

Perhaps she is getting more efficient at the breast and that's why she is nursing for shorter periods of time. My son only nurses for about 4 minutes on one breast and is finished for that nursing session
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

If her pee is smelly but she's making enough, and she's fussy, have you thought about a urine infection? Rare in small children, but worth checking.

Yeah, I agree with pp. Are you working or at home? It seems strange that your supply would have a sudden dip unless there was a major change - she starts sleeping through the night, you go back to work, she misses a nursing session due to eating solids, etc. etc. HOpe you can figure it ouT!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*s.p View Post
    how do you deal with those times when your supply dips or when there is a nursing strike and they wont take a bottle/sippy cup/straw or anything else ?
    Sounds like we're in the same boat. I just wrote a post on this for my 10 month old! What have you done to boost your supply? My LO will not drink from a bottle or sippycup, but he will drink from a regular cup and is willing to be spoon-fed, but it is messy.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

As far as nursing strikes go, I have had two friends go thru MAJOR strikes. As in 3-6weeks of refusing(one more than once) and neither of them ever supplemented. And one had a child who was a delayed solids baby so her baby wasn't even taking in any solids at all. Both made it thru with no supplementation. So it can be done. It takes real determination and can be very very rough on the ego but even a striking child won't starve them selves. They just will only eat when sleepy or while a sleep. So they mostly nap and night feed. Both of my friends who have been through this pumped during the day to keep up their supply.
    One of them is still here on the boards so maybe she will chime in.
    You can get through this. I know it is hurtful because it seem like they are actually rejecting YOU or the bond you have been working on forming.
    But striking is usually about something other than Mama.

Way too lazy for formula

My baby is not exactly refusing the breast. She tries to nurse but gives up VERY VERY quickly. Even before a letdown, or sometimes when she does get a letdown, she stops before the second letdown... Currently her night time feeding has increased, but its not quite as efficient because sometimes I miss her cues. She does not wake up and cry. All she does is turn to her side and bury her face in the bed, that is my cue that she wants to nurse. BTW we cosleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*s.p View Post
    My baby is not exactly refusing the breast. She tries to nurse but gives up VERY VERY quickly. Even before a letdown, or sometimes when she does get a letdown, she stops before the second letdown... Currently her night time feeding has increased, but its not quite as efficient because sometimes I miss her cues. She does not wake up and cry. All she does is turn to her side and bury her face in the bed, that is my cue that she wants to nurse. BTW we cosleep.
    DS was doing this on the left side. He would suck a bit, then give up, because he knew there was basically no milk left. Now that the fenugreek I'm taking has kicked in, he is much more willing to take the left side.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.