Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 month old driving me nuts

Default 10 month old driving me nuts

Well its my turn to ask the questions now. I know you experienced mamma's will have some good advice for me and maybe some hugs.

DS is 10 months old and never wants to nurse. It would be so easy to wean him right now. But I want to breastfeed him for at least 2 years. He sucks his thumb alot, so I doubt he'd even miss it. The only time he really wants to nurse is at his 2 naptimes and at bedtime. Oh, yeah, and middle of the night. The only way he will nurse is if we are #1 lying down on the bed with the lights low #2 he is in his sleep-sack. He is so busy learning to crawl. I try to fit in some extra nursing during the day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

None of this would bother me, but my supply has gotten really low lately. So when he does want to nurse, there's not much there. I've been taking fenugreek which seem to work really well. Then I thought I could stop taking it, and I all but dried up. So I started it again today and am waiting for it to kick in.

When he does nurse, he often goes back and forth between breasts several times, there doesn't seem to be enough for him. Last night at bedtime and tonight, he nursed and nursed but there was not much there, so I sat him up and let him have water from a cup. He sucked it down like he was so thirsty and I felt really bad. Then he lay down, sucked his thumb and fell asleep.

My questions are
    #1 Should I just keep taking the fenugreek and for how long? Or should I get domperidone?
    #2 Should I pump? If so, when and how?
    #3 Should I just nurse him at naptimes, bedtimes, and middle of the night? And solids and water the rest of the time? I'm so tired of offering, and him rejecting me. He seems to really prefer solids and drinking from a cup.

TIA!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Default Re: 10 month old driving me nuts

Well it sounds like he is just distracted, but I also believe there are babies who just don't comfort nurse. They get their food and they are done.

How do you know your supply is low? You know the drill - Does he have enought wet/poopy dipes? Good weight gain?

You said he will nurse at night. How often is he nursing at night? Do you co-sleep? Bringing him to bed with you may be a way to get him to nurse more.

I don't know a lot about domperidone, but it couldn't hurt to keep taking the fenugreek. And if you are worried about supply adding in pumping sessions would be a good idea.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Oh man, you could have written that post 2 years ago about my first child. Was the same way. I don't have any advice...as he did wean right after a year...but just wanted to give you a hug It's not easy. I was so sad that he weaned...but I did keep offering. The day that I was laying on the bed, pinning him down trying to get him to nurse was probably the day that I realized he didn't need/want to nurse anymore

At 10 months, he was down to 3-4x a day with 3 solid meals and 2 snacks. I finally stopped worrying about it and was able to get him to nurse when he was sleepy.

Good luck, mama. I hope you figure something out
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjgj.28 View Post
    How do you know your supply is low? You know the drill - Does he have enought wet/poopy dipes? Good weight gain?
    I don't know, he's getting lots of diapers. How many wet/poopy diapers should they have at this age? I haven't weighed him in a while, but from last time, he's gaining about 1oz/week. My doctor said babies this age gain about 1 pound/month, but she's not too concerned, as he is already 23 pounds.

You said he will nurse at night. How often is he nursing at night? Do you co-sleep? Bringing him to bed with you may be a way to get him to nurse more.
    Last night he only nursed once. I fed him solids before bed and extra water as he couldn't fall asleep with just nursing. The night before he was up every 2 hours and couldn't seem to get enough before drifting back to sleep.

He sleeps on a mattress on the floor of my room. So I don't co-sleep full-time, but I often wake up next to him in the morning. Its hard for me to co-sleep more, I have a hard time sharing a bed with anyone.

And if you are worried about supply adding in pumping sessions would be a good idea.
    I tried pumping, but it seemed to backfire. I pumped 2 oz one morning, then he was less willing to nurse because there wasn't much there. I tried feeding him the milk by cup and spoon, but it was messy and he didn't get it all. Then that night he woke every 2 hours.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    I don't know, he's getting lots of diapers. How many wet/poopy diapers should they have at this age? I haven't weighed him in a while, but from last time, he's gaining about 1oz/week. My doctor said babies this age gain about 1 pound/month, but she's not too concerned, as he is already 23 pounds.

Last night he only nursed once. I fed him solids before bed and extra water as he couldn't fall asleep with just nursing. The night before he was up every 2 hours and couldn't seem to get enough before drifting back to sleep.

He sleeps on a mattress on the floor of my room. So I don't co-sleep full-time, but I often wake up next to him in the morning. Its hard for me to co-sleep more, I have a hard time sharing a bed with anyone.

I tried pumping, but it seemed to backfire. I pumped 2 oz one morning, then he was less willing to nurse because there wasn't much there. I tried feeding him the milk by cup and spoon, but it was messy and he didn't get it all. Then that night he woke every 2 hours.
    You want to see about 5-7 wet disposable and 6-8 wet cloth. Do you nurse before solids? That might help.

If you want to pump to increase your supply, try pumping after nursing. Even if you don't get anything, this will stimulate the breast & signal you to make more milk.

Hang in there. This can be a very distractable age. Many moms find their babies go from not wanting to nurse much at about one, to wanting to nurse like a newborn at around 18-24 months!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

I feel for you. I went through this with DD #2. She never comfort nursed and was a super efficient nurser. I wasn't working and never pumped so I completely missed that my milk supply was diminishing. One day at about a year, I sat down to nurse her and she flat out rejected me and could never be persuaded to nurse again. I wasn't nearly as engorged as I expected. I was sad because I wanted to nurse for two years but I bought into that whole self weaning thing and I have always thought (with nothing to back it up) that it is hard to continue BFing into toddlerhood unless you cosleep.

I regret not pumping to keep my milk supply up and at least giving it to her in a cup. I can understand how you feel.

To be honest I have always been a little intimidated by pumping until recently. I don't really have a lot of pumping advice other than pumping after you nurse or in place of missed feedings.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Yes, we're getting enough diapers. Thanks for all your words of encouragement and I'm sorry to hear other moms have had their babies self-wean so early.

The fenugreek has kicked in, so things are better. I am still worried though. My supply was low again this evening so he nursed a bit, then gave up. But we had lots of good feedings during the day. It doesn't seem like I should have to be on fenugreek, but maybe his thumb-sucking is getting in the way of supply and demand. I've been feeding him as little solids as possible during the day. Just a mini orange for breakfast, a cookie and some banana for lunch. No water. I let him self-feed some broccoli at dinner time and I gave him some meat+veggies before bed. I topped him up with water just before bed, since my supply was low and he was reluctant to nurse.

Anyway, sounds like I will have to pump and keep taking herbs. We don't have MoreMilk+ in town. Dh is going out of town tomorrow and very nicely is going to pick some up from the ONLY place in the province that sells it! I'm going to start pumping 1/2 oz after each nursing session, if I pump anymore than that seems to discourage him from nursing. It is really emotional for me to pump. I am afraid in the back of my mind that I'll end up pumping exclusively again, like I did with my 1st, even though I know this probably won't happen.

Breastfeeding him into toddlerhood is so very important, I'm going to have to commit to pumping every day whether I like it or not. I am really looking forward to 18 months!! Wish me luck!
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; February 4th, 2009 at 12:28 AM.

Good luck Mama. Hang in there and do what you have to to keep your supply. This won't last forever. He will come back to the breast, I'm sure of it.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63