Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No Hindmilk?

Default No Hindmilk?

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and the last week she has had dark green stools and has been spitting up after every feeding. Every thing i've read indicateds that she is getting too much foremilk. When I pump I get both foremilk and hindmilk (it settles in the firdge and I can see the top layer of hindmilk) but im wondering if she's not getting the hindmilk when she's nursing? I don't know how to fix this, im very worried about her getting enough nutrition. Has anyone had this problem or know what to do? Thank you!
    So happy to my preemie!!

Default Re: No Hindmilk?

Do you have oversupply issues? Has your DD had these problems before? Do you limit her time at the breast?

Five and a half months seems like an unusual time to be running into a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Is it possible that she's fighting off a bug? Have you started her on any solids? Is she teething? Is the poo foamy and explosive? Sometimes green poo is just green poo, it is within the range of normal.

If she's nursing the same way she usually does, and nothing else has changed I'd probably just keep an eye on it, yk? Sorry I don't have anything more concrete to offer.

I know some other mamas will chime in with their experiences.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

with Jess: hindmilk/foremilk problems are usually encountered only in very young infants, and sometimes green poop is just green poop, and not an indicator of a problem.

Teething, being sick, starting solids- they could all cause weird poops. So long as your baby is nursing on demand and you're allowing her to finish the first breast on her own time before offering the second, I would just keep an eye on this. If you're concerned, you could take your baby to the pediatrician and do a weight check.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think she may be feeding. She is super drooly and a little bit fussy. I hope that is the reason for the change of color in her diaper! thank you!
    So happy to my preemie!!