Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Birth control methods while breastfeeding

Default Birth control methods while breastfeeding

So I'm trying to decide which method is best for me and I don't know what to do. I've only ever taken the pill and I haven't been on that for almost 3 years. After my son (now two) was born we just used condoms. I tried the mini pill and for some strange reason my supply went down, as soon as I stopped it, it came back. We got lazy and get pregnant really feasy and as much as I love being a mommy, I want to be able to plan our next pregnancy. So now with baby number 2 (2 mos) I want to get on something but i'm a little nervous. I'm comfortable with the pill because it's been around for so long but I don't want it to affect my supply again. My SIL swears by the IUD but I've heard so many different things with everything out there. So I'm asking all you BFing moms out there what you do. I only BF and my period returned with my son when he was 3 or 4 months old. I feel like it's going to return now with my daughter. Thanks for your help

Default Re: Birth control methods while breastfeeding

Planned Parenthood maintains this list of commonly available birth control methods. Just be aware that any hormonal method carries the risk of decreased milk supply, so if you want to be 100% sure to avoid that, you should also avoid the birth control patch, pill, vaginal ring, shot, implant, and certain types of IUDs (Mirena).

My husband and I use a combination of the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) and a diaphragm/spermicide combo. If you want to learn more about FAM, Toni Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a great place to start.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"