Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamin C while sick and breastfeeding

Default Vitamin C while sick and breastfeeding

I am catching a cold and normally when I start getting sick I take 500 mg of Vitamin C twice a day and it helps me from getting full blown sick. I've been doing this for the past couple of days and it just dawned on me that I maybe shouldn't. I know that Vitamin C is water soluable and if too much is injested it's secreted through your urine, but is it harmful to my baby??

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Vitamin C while sick and breastfeeding

I hope a leader will chime in for you...but personally, I always took supplements when nursing (teas, vitamins, echenacia, vitamin drinks, veggie drinks, etc.) and I never had any issues. I would tend to go more all natural for vitamin C (like LOTS of lemon, citrus fruits, etc.) but I wouldn't think that taking extra vitamin C would hurt your lo. You could always ask your ped. if you are REALLY concerned. JMHO

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Vitamin C while sick and breastfeeding

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...-vitamins.html

Water soluble vitamin supplements (e.g., B vitamins, vitamin C) taken by the mother usually increase breastmilk levels. Breastmilk levels of some water soluble vitamins, such as vitamin C, only increase up to a certain point, then remain steady – even if mom increases her dose.