Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Stomach Flu, supply dropping, dehydration!

Default Help! Stomach Flu, supply dropping, dehydration!

FYI - DD is 6 months old and exclusively BF. I have started to try her on solids, but she doesn't "get" it, I really don't think she's ready. She's a pretty skinny baby but I have never had supply issues in the past...

So DD had the flu (has the flu?) for a couple of days starting Wednesday night and didn't eat much. She got really dehydrated and I got really engorged, but I didn't have time to pump properly and so I just sort of went on being engorged for a couple days.

Then I got the flu and couldn't even keep water down for a day. I managed some light foods and water starting Friday night, but I also got massively dehydrated.

By Saturday my milk supply was totally nonexistant. I still felt sick, though I could keep food down, but my body was just so weak and ineffective. DD is also still eating less, so I think she is feeling crappy too.

Last night I couldn't get her to sleep until 9:30pm because I just couldn't feed her. She likes to nurse to sleep, and was trying, but I was absolutely dry and empty. So eventually she just popped off and lay there, eyes open, looking tired and confused.

I tried giving her a bottle of pumped milk, but she hasn't had a bottle since she was 2 months old, and she totally didn't get it. She batted it away, gagged, spit the milk out and wrestled with us whenever we tried to get the bottle near her mouth. :/

Last night I got completely sick again, throwing up, diarrhea, etc. DD decided to try to STTN. (She didn't nap AT ALL yesterday.) :/ At 4:30 am I finally woke her up to eat but I'd hardly produced ANY milk in the last 7h. She ate what I had and went back to sleep.

I don't know what's going on or what to do. I can't tell if she's sleeping a lot and not eating much because she still feels sick (given how I feel, a likely possibility) or because I am not producing enough milk and she's going hungry. I don't know how to increase my supply when I can barely keep anything down/in. And I have no idea what to try to feed her in the meantime, since the bottle isn't working and she still won't "eat" solids (she just plays with it).

Any ideas??? I'm driving myself crazy here. I'm afraid to go see a doctor because I am 98% sure they will just try to supplement with formula and not address my supply issues.

Thanks. :/

Default Re: Help! Stomach Flu, supply dropping, dehydration!

I'm sorry you're feeling so sick! The best things you can do for your milk supply and for your baby are to nurse as frequently as possible and hydrate yourself. Your supply will bounce back quickly as long as you nurse on demand. Don't push the solids right now- they'll only replace what your baby should be eating, which is your milk. Don't freak out if she doesn't seem to be getting a lot of milk at the breast: babies (especially 6 month-olds) are very efficient at getting out every last drop. But do watch your baby's diapers: if you see her producing less than 5-6 wets in a day, it's time to try the bottle again.

I hope you are feeling better really soon!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

how are you fealing this morning?
    Give yourself a day or two and your supply should bounce right back.

KEep drinking and eating even if you cann't keep it down.
    ITs hard but you'll be sick a shorter period of time...

Try diffent things. My kids like frozen pops when they are sick...
    You can freeze juice.

You will need to keep a close eye on your LO's diapers, dehydration can be very serious in a baby. If she won't take the bottle, at her age, she will probably like being spoon-fed fluids. Or you can try feeding her by cup.

If you guys are that sick, maybe you should see your doctor for advice. Even if they say use formula, you don't have to, but you do need to keep your baby hydrated. You need to keep yourself hydrated too, you will recover faster. There might be anti-nausea meds that are compatible with breastfeeding.

If you need them, be assured there are many medications that are compatible with breastfeeding.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...oved-meds.html

There are also herbs you can take that with help with supply, but what you really need is to get over your flu.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.