Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Letdown/oversupply/engorgement

Default Letdown/oversupply/engorgement

In this forum I read we can feel the let down. How should I feel if my milk is letting down? While pumping I can see my milk is letting down but I have never felt anything while breast feeding.

I offer one breast at a time. My baby feels very contented with one breast. Does it mean I’m producing more milk? I don’t know what I’m doing is correct.

My baby nurses every 3 hrs . Mostly he nurses for 10-15 minutes on one side.

If I offer my Left breast at 9am then next I offer my right breast at 12pm then again left breast at 3 pm. My left breast is so full at 3 pm.(after 6 hrs) I do not pump between feedings. Does it mean my baby will be getting more foremilk if I offer him the breast after 6 hrs? He was gulping more milk, coughing sometimes and coming off from the breast for a while and going back again. He does not fuss or cry between the feedings. Sometimes his poop is yellowish green but still on the yellow side. I’m confused if it is because of oversupply or engorgement. I do not know if he is getting too much foremilk so I have started to pump 1 oz of milk before offering the breast. I’m not sure what I’m doing is correct. Usually in the mornings my breasts are very full after 8 hrs of my last feed. How should I handle this? If I offer my breast every 3 hrs on the same side then I don’t see any problem with him. I do this only if he is hungry within an hour or two after a feeding.

How much formilk and hindmilk are produced in each breast? I produce one ounce per hour. If I pump after 8 hours then I will get 8-9 ounces. I don’t know if I’m having oversupply.

Default Re: Letdown/oversupply/engorgement

Hey Mama! Sounds like you are doing a great job

I cant help you with the whole formilk and hindmilk issue because I barely understand it myself I can offer some advice on the engorgement issue tho. How old is your baby? When my daughter was a newborn my breasts was very engorged! She would choke everytime I would feed her. I would hand express or pump alittle milk before I would put her on the breast so she wouldnt have a choking spell. So you are doing the right think by pumping a little before a feed. It took about 2 months for my body to adjust to the volumes she was consuming.

As far as the letdowns, I still feel mine and they can be painful. Yet, some women don't and have never felt a letdown. I have a friend that has never felt her letdown.

I also feed one breast a time. You are doing great

Hopefully there will be someone else who can better help you
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year

Not everyone feels a let down. When baby nurses you'll notice a different suck pattern after your milk lets down & show see/hear swallowing. Here is some info on oversupply that may help you.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

How old is your baby?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllidsajin View Post
    In this forum I read we can feel the let down. How should I feel if my milk is letting down? While pumping I can see my milk is letting down but I have never felt anything while breast feeding.
    Not every mother feels her let-down and that is fine. You know your milk is letting down when the baby's sucking pattern changes.

I offer one breast at a time. My baby feels very contented with one breast.
    If baby's happy and is gaining well and you are comfortable, this is all that really matters! Many babies are happy after taking just one breast. When DS was a newborn, this is what we did. Now that he's older he often takes both breasts again.

Sometimes his poop is yellowish green but still on the yellow side. I’m confused if it is because of oversupply or engorgement.
    His poops sound fine. Unless he is getting lots of pure green poops and is fussy and gassy, he's not getting too much foremilk.

I do not know if he is getting too much foremilk so I have started to pump 1 oz of milk before offering the breast. I’m not sure what I’m doing is correct.
    Actually, pumping is just going to increase your supply more. I would suggest not pumping, unless you have to for work. The best thing to do is de-latch your baby when your milk is letting down and let the milk spray into a cloth, then latch again. Recling and lying down positions will help your baby cope with the flow. As well, once you hit the 3 month mark, there are hormonal changes that will decrease any oversupply issues you are having.

Usually in the mornings my breasts are very full after 8 hrs of my last feed. How should I handle this? If I offer my breast every 3 hrs on the same side then I don’t see any problem with him. I do this only if he is hungry within an hour or two after a feeding.
    Sounds like you have a bit of oversupply. Block feeding in 3 hour intervals is the way to go, just like you are doing. If you want to reduce your supply further, you can block feed in longer intervals. If you are uncomfortable, pumping or hand-expressing 'to comfort only' will help and will not increase your supply.

How is baby's weight gain?

This may help explain things:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Hi lillie bethe - My son is 7 weeks old now. What did you do during night ? Does your baby sleep through the night? How would you handle the engorgement in the breast that you are not feeding?

Thumbs down Re: Letdown/oversupply/engorgement

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    How old is your baby?
    He is 7 weeks old.

Actually, pumping is just going to increase your supply more. I would suggest not pumping, unless you have to for work. The best thing to do is de-latch your baby when your milk is letting down and let the milk spray into a cloth, then latch again. Recling and lying down positions will help your baby cope with the flow. As well, once you hit the 3 month mark, there are hormonal changes that will decrease any oversupply issues you are having.
    Yes you are right. As he was only taking one breast per feed I was pumping the other one. Now I stopped pumping the other breast. So now my milk supply is kind of regularised. If he sleeps for more hours the breast that was taken during the previous feed gets very engorged and painful. I hope things should settle down soon. I'm doing the reclining position. I will also try the lying down position.

Sounds like you have a bit of oversupply. Block feeding in 3 hour intervals is the way to go, just like you are doing. If you want to reduce your supply further, you can block feed in longer intervals. If you are uncomfortable, pumping or hand-expressing 'to comfort only' will help and will not increase your supply.

How is baby's weight gain?
    Pumping for comfort means how much milk I should pump before offering my breast to the baby. I usually pump 1 oz after 8 hrs interval. I don't want to pump the entire foremilk. My baby is gaining nicely.