Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding cereal delete a feeding?

Default adding cereal delete a feeding?

the dr said we can start giving rice cereal 2 times a day....mix with BM...but do I give the cereal in place of a feeding or do I feed cereal and then offer breast?

ALSO just transitioning in general for solids...will it be the same?

just not sure how to handle this?

What do you do?
    Thanks
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

Default Re: adding cereal delete a feeding?

Until baby is a year old, solids are really just for experimentation with texture, taste etc. Baby's primary source of nutrition is BM until 12 mos. Ideally, when offering solids, you nrse baby first, so they're not hungry when the solids are offered as it will take a while for them to equate solids with feeling full, and BM is much more nutritious than any other food you offer them, so it's good to make sure they get the good stuff (mama milk) before they get topped up with other food.

Once baby is a year old, they will start to rely on solid foods for nutrition a little more, and will gradually drop milk feeds, or not. There are still lots of toddlers who nurse 8 times a day and some who nurse twice. Babies are all different.

So in short, no, don't replace a BM feed with cereal or any other kind of solid food until baby is at least a year old.

ETA: just out of curiosity, how old is your baby?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I should have added that we are introducing cereal to help with reflux...

thanks for your input
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

Nurse first, then solids. Here is some info on reflux in the BF baby. Here is some info on starting solids (your LO is only 4mo, right?).

Why delay solids?
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My son has reflux as reflux as well has your doctor suggested anything other then offering cereal? Until around 6 months of age the digestive tract of babies is really too immature to handle solid foods. We used zantac to help with the reflux (as well some tips from the link that only.woman.in.the.house gave you - scroll down until you see What can I do to minimize spitting up/reflux?).

As for nursing and solids, solids should not replace breastmilk, but instead complement it. You should still be nursing the same number of times per day and add the solid food in as an "extra"
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

sorry my post was not clear. I am not giving my 4 mo old solids yet or do I intend to anytime soon...I was just asking "in general" when you do start to give cereal or soldis how you transistion or add it into the BF routine? do you elimate a feeding or do you add it as you said a compliment...sorry for confusing anyone.

update: I gave the cereal BM mix last night and I am not sure he is ready or that its going to help. he took it okay but then had 2 episodes during the night (I fed him early evening like 4:30 pm) and then he was gurgling up milk this morning (all normal for him) so at this point I am not sure I want to keep pushing cereal on him....I don't know if you need to give a few feedings to see a difference or not?? but I am not sure he is ready and I just might wait unless I hear some better information or check your links and find something on there ...I am just not sure what to do at this point....

I appreciate the info
    thank you
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom

[QUOTE=@llli*sha.nay.nay;654695I was just asking "in general" when you do start to give cereal or soldis how you transistion or add it into the BF routine? do you elimate a feeding or do you add it as you said a compliment...sorry for confusing anyone.

[/QUOTE]

I think the other posters were trying to answer this question.

The general rules, are that when baby starts cereal or solids, you need to always nurse first before giving solids until baby is over 12 months old. In babies younger than 12 months of age, solids should be complimentary to breastmilk...just extra IYKWIM. Solids given to a baby under 12 months of age shouldn't be replacing breastmilk feedings. They should be in addition to breastmilk feedings.

Since breastmilk has more good fat and nutrition than any single solid food, breastmilk needs to be what makes up the majority of babies nutrition until baby is 12 mos. of age.

Once baby is older than 12 months, and is eating a wide variety of solids, you can let baby nurse after solids if he/she wants to, because by that point, baby will be able to eat more different solid food fruits and veggies and meats and dairy (depending on your family's diet). Many of those foods aren't appropriate or baby isn't ready for them when baby is under a year old, so that is why the wait is necessary.

I'd definitely check the links above. I never heard anyone rave about how cereal helped reflux! That might even be outdated advice, cereal in a bottle is for sure. That was a very standard recommendation that is now considered a choking hazard by most.
    You do not want to replacing ANY nursing sessions with cereal/solids/any combination of those before a year. You only add food, for fun really. My Dr said your gonna feel like your nursing and feeding him all day at some point.

(PS Have you tried posting your solids questions in the SOLIDS forum? You may get more answers here.)

"update: I gave the cereal BM mix last night and I am not sure he is ready or that its going to help. he took it okay but then had 2 episodes during the night (I fed him early evening like 4:30 pm) and then he was gurgling up milk this morning (all normal for him) so at this point I am not sure I want to keep pushing cereal on him....I don't know if you need to give a few feedings to see a difference or not?? but I am not sure he is ready and I just might wait unless I hear some better information or check your links and find something on there ...I am just not sure what to do at this point...."

It sounds like you all are having a very tough time. I'm so sorry to hear this. When a child is diagnosed with reflux it can be very hard. Hang in there!

Wanted to share this bit of info about reflux...

"It may be tempting to consider another method of feeding for a baby with reflux in hopes that the symptoms will improve. Remember, reflux is a medical condition, not a feeding problem. In most cases, time will improve baby's reflux. Continuing to breastfeed provides many benefits to the baby and the mother by way of improved health, development, and most importantly, a strong bond that can help get you both through this difficult time. "

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/ger.html

Sometimes if baby is laying on their left side feedings are a bit better. The cradle hold keeps a baby at a nice 30-40 degree angle and may help with feedings. Would nursing/feeding upright in a sling be any helpful?

You mentioned your ped gave you a prx... any chance the dosage might need to be adjusted because of a recent growth spurt?

Otherwise, the info you received on when to start solids from the other mammas is correct. Many times, starting solids can be confusing with the different information out there. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests starting solids at *about* the first half of a baby's life. Starting solids is often thought of as just an introduction to solids (or just some fun for babies), not a replacement for breastmilk.

That said, there are also some "sign of readiness" that a baby generally shows they are ready...

... is at least five to six months old
    ... can sit up, with support.... head and neck control
    ... tongue thrust is gone
    ... is showing distinct interest in other people's food
    ... can reach for and maybe try to taste or eat-food

Hopefully this difficult period will end soon!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

yes, he is 4 mos old
    and you are right....I just read on one of the links that adding cereal to BM "might" help ....I think I will just wait and continue to nurse for now until I feel he more ready and he is more interested in other foods.

thanks for all the help!!

BTW....I have had moms tell me they gave cereal with BM in bottles to get them to sleep all night.... so I wondered when they actually nursed especially the moms that were working and pumping....they would pump all day, feed bottles with cereal at home/night and then baby sleep all night and repeat? I guess there was Sat and Sun to nurse??
    Sha Nay Nay
    MOOOO
    = working mom